How can I switch between 2 installed video cards? (2341 Views)
Honor Student
Benamati
Message 1 of 7 (2,341 Views)

How can I switch between 2 installed video cards?

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx Entertainment Notebook PC, Windows 7 64-bit. It has two video cards, one is a Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics card attached to the motherboard, the other is an AMD Radeon HD 6490M video card meant for gaming. The problem is that the computer and all the games and software I install on it only pickup on the Intel HD card, not the Radeon. I have the Catalyst Control Center for the Radeon card and it shows up in the device manager meaning the computer recognizes the card, but I can't download any drivers for the Radeon card from the Internet and nothing else seems to recognize it. This Radeon card series, 6400M, has OpenGL 4.1 and 3D graphics, the amd.com site specifically states this, but games with 3D or which require OpenGL, such as Bethesda's Brink, won't play. The errors say my graphics card does not support 3D or, in Brink's case, it doesn't have OpenGL 3.1 or higher. I'm assuming something is blocking the Radeon Card from working or I need to set the computer to use the Radeon card 24/7. Any help what so ever would be very much appreciated.

Top Student
s7a7yC
Message 2 of 7 (2,320 Views)

Re: How can I switch between 2 installed video cards?

did you download the video card's drivers from the HP website ? If you did from AMD's site they may not work for you.
Honor Student
Benamati
Message 3 of 7 (2,283 Views)

Yes I just used HP to install the drivers. It worked unlike the AMD website, but it still doesn't seem to be working. It has all the updates now, but games stil don't seem to recognize the Radeon card, just the Intel HD video card.

Top Student
s7a7yC
Message 4 of 7 (2,275 Views)

that's really weird. Try going to the device manager and see if the video card is listed under the display adapters field/

Honor Student
Benamati
Message 5 of 7 (2,266 Views)

Yes the device manager shows the Radeon video card and it says the device is working properly. Same with the Intel card.

Honor Student
armani1403
Message 6 of 7 (329 Views)

Re: How can installed video cards?

pls tel me how i can instal vidio card driver for play cards games

Honor Student
armani1403
Message 7 of 7 (328 Views)

so what i need to do can u help me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation