Question

Student
growflower
Message 1 of 2 (4,655 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I wipe the hard drive so I can sell my HP Pavillion/Windows XP/3 gigs ram/512 MB Hard Drive?

I need help wiping my hard drive so I can sell my computer

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (4,639 Views)

Re: How do I wipe the hard drive so I can sell my HP Pavillion/Windows XP/3 gigs ram/512 MB Hard Dri

Hi,

You can use the process below to completely wipe your Hard Drive, but you must have your set Recovery discs to reinstall the operating sytem if you wish to sell it with XP installed.

Download and install Killdisk on the link below - ( this application will write zeros to the entire drive ).

http://software.lsoft.net/KillDiskSuiteFree-Setup.exe of

Download and install ImgBurn on the link below.

http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html

Go to the Kill Disk application you have installed in All Programs, open the main folder, then select Bootable Disk creators and from that select Bootable DOS CD Creator which will burn the bootable ISO to a blank CD.

During the next process do not worry about any warnings as your Recovery DVDs will reformat the HDD.

Insert this CD in to yout notebook. Shut the notebook down, then start it again to boot from the Killdisk CD and follow the on screen instructions for Kill Disk.

A brief description of the process is here Killdisk.

Use this to wipe the whole of the Hard Drive, highlight (80h) and press f10 ( you will also have to type a confirmation and hit enter ) - ( this will make sure you include all partitions and then start the process - this may take a couple of hours! ). 

When the process is complete, remove the Killdisk CD, insert your first HP Recovery Disc and restart the notebook to run the installation.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation