Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm wanting to upgrade the memory in my laptop, a Compaq Presario CQ60-433US.  It has 4g in it.  Can I upgrade it to 8g?  It is running Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

I have checked the unit specification the Max memory the unit can hold is 4GB web link given below for your reference as well.

Product Specifications

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

I installed a 4gb SODIMM memory upgrade kit.  And when I turned on my pc the screen was black and nothing happening.  I tried to reinstall the original memory and still the same problem.  I even tried running the repair disk and nothing happens.  My DVD-RW light comes on, AC Power light comes on, Battery power light, but nothing happens...It's as if the HD isn't working all of the sudden.  Has this happened to anyone else.  I've installed memory in my other pcs with no problems.  My Compaq CQ60-516DX was running great until this.  I would appreciate any help input with this matter.  Thank you, God Bless

HP Recommended

dont know if you have sorted it(if you have i would love to know the answer).I upgraded from 2 to 4gb and i got the black screen.i then put the old memory back in and still a black screen,so i tried 1 of the new memory simms+ 1 of the old ones giving 3 gig,it worked,so i wonder why it does not with 2 x 2 gb.The laptop is faster with 3 gb but i just wish it would work with the 4.It does say i can upgrade to 4 so i dont know what else to do.

HP Recommended

Hello hsmith100,

Yes, you can upgrade to 4GB. I suppose one of the 2GB is defective. Hence, Install one 2GB module and keep the other slot empty. See if it boots and repeat the process with the second 2GB module. Let me know if it works. Also keep an eye for any error messages and let me know if you hear any beep sounds. 

Before you do so,  you would be better off trying it, after updating the BIOS. You can check the HP support site for the latest BIOS version, download it and install it. Please take caution while installing it.

Probably this should fix it or you may find out one module is defective. Hope it works, Good Luck. :generic:

Best Regards,
John
How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here. Http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/Presario+CQ60+Series/Presario+CQ60-215DX-upgrades....

Hope this helps.

At this site it says ...

HP Recommended
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.