Question

Student
AnneMarie86
Message 1 of 3 (71 Views)

How safe/dangerous is it for me to take the back off my laptop??

My laptop is overheating really bad, Ive an awful feeling its just going to die on me soon. Im pretty sure dust is the issue. Ive done everything ive been adviced to do apart from actually take the back off and clean the dust off the fans. Im so nervous to do this incase I damage something else. I have a HP Pavilion g6, can anyone advise me??

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 3 (58 Views)

Re: How safe/dangerous is it for me to take the back off my laptop??

If you have never done it I might hestitate to tell you to try it as your first venture into laptop repair. It is a major job, requiring nearly complete disassembly, nothing like just "taking the back off". If you feel you must try it here is the Service Manual:

Manual

It would also help if we had the full part number. There are a lot of G6s. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 3 of 3 (53 Views)

Re: How safe/dangerous is it for me to take the back off my laptop??

AnneMarie,

I agree with my colleague Huffer.  This sort of endeavor can quickly escalate, especially  when you are not sure of the issue.  Dust may indeed be the culprit -- or it may be something a bit more serious that requires a technician's skilled hands.

Reducing Heat and Fan Noise by Cleaning Air Vents - notebooks

What if it is "bad news" and you do not want to take apart your computer after all?

The good news is that this sort of thing is usually not a death knell for a healthy computer -- and the repair costs are well within reason.  As long as it is not yet damaged by heat, your notebook is can be worth fixing; the cost won't keep you awake at night or force you to take out a loan from the bank.

I might suggest that if you can do so, that you take your hot-to-the-touch notebook to a local reputable repair shop and have it looked at by a licensed technician.  

Should you like to take matters into hand, so to speak, here is some additional help:

How to disassemble HP Pavilion g6 laptop

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation