Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey, I play alot of games on this computer using a mouse I bought, and sometimes the lap topanyway to disable it? I've checked the device manager and this is what I see:

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Uninstall the current driver for the Synaptics touchpad (if it is in the system and I suspect then it is not) and restart the system.

Resource:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Install the latest Synaptics TouchPad driver for your model from here.

Restart the system and check the result.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Here is a link for the dv7 but I think the instructions would be the same:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/disable-touchpad-on-laptop/m-p/1380617#M404...

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended

I'm unable to see your image.

Disabling the touchpad should be fairly easy.  There's a hotkey you can press to disable/enable it usually located on the top row of your keyboard (F-keys).  Depending on your model, you may be able to go into the Mouse properties/Touchpad software and check the box to "Turn off the touchpad when an external mouse or other pointing device is present."

If you're unable to find this option, post your model number and I'll lookup the exact details for you.

HP Recommended

Sadly the dv7 tutorial did not work for me, here's my model number:

QE068UA#ABA

HP Recommended
Did you check the Hardware tab under Mouse properties as I suggested?
HP Recommended

I couldn't find any section called Mouse Properties

HP Recommended

@AndrewC97 wrote:

I couldn't find any section called Mouse Properties

Go to the start menu and type "mouse" into the start search at the bottom.  You'll see "Mouse" appear under Control Panel on the start menu - click on it and it'll bring up the Mouse properties window.  From there, click on the "hardware" tab and you should see the option to check the box.

HP Recommended

There is no form of touch pad listed. All i see is HID-compliant mouse and PS/2 Compatible Mouse. Is this not normal? And there are no checkboxes to be found. :manindifferent:

HP Recommended

Uninstall the current driver for the Synaptics touchpad (if it is in the system and I suspect then it is not) and restart the system.

Resource:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Install the latest Synaptics TouchPad driver for your model from here.

Restart the system and check the result.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

This issue is getting to be almost to much to handle. I within the last month bought my HP Pavilion DV6 B5S11UA#ABA and for the first week I had no issues. However at about the 8th day, my laptop began typing the letter Q at random times on it's own, and started beeping during the text input. I sent my laptop in, they replaced the laptop keyboard, and subsequently a speaker kit. I just recieved this item back yesterday, and was extatic to have it back in my possession because it is my new system for work. At this point however I am faced with the same issue still occuring. I have discovered that it may in fact have something to do with the touchpad, because if I let the touchpad rest for a period of time, and then swipe my finger over it, the typing resumes "qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq" in whatever box that it has selected to input text.

I called customer support once again, furious that the tech's could not figure out what was wrong and why it was still happening, I told them that I do not have the time to be continually sending this back in to be repaired and asked them to replace the unit. I have to wait a few days to hear back from the Supervisor at HP CAre to see what they suggest, I assume that they are going to make me have to send it in again, instead of replacing it, but until I hear back from them, that is just an assumption. At this point if anyone has any idea as to why this is happening, I would be incredibly grateful, if I can avoid having to send it back in, that would be my best case scenario.

Thank you all for taking the time to help with this.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.