Question

Honor Student
Takisha
Message 1 of 4 (403 Views)

How to divide a 577 GB C local disk so that the HDD doesn't convert into dynamic?

[ Edited ]

The problem is, I know that Windows 7 won't allow more than 4 local disks on the same HDD, and in diskmgmt.msc there are already four partitions: SYSTEM (no letter), C local disk (windows installed), Recovery (D: ), and a FAT32 system HP_TOOLS (E: ), which is barely 4 gigs. Now, the C local disk is 577 GBs, which is annoying, so I'd like to have a partition where I can store my stuff, in case I need to reinstall/recover the windows (It's not mac, so over time windows gets buggy, crashy and sh**ty, you know). How do I create an additional local disk for me so that it doesn't convert Basic disk into Dynamic, and the recovery partitions are untouched?

Thanks in advance

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (377 Views)

Re: How to divide a 577 GB C local disk so that the HDD doesn't convert into dynamic?

The ironic things is that of you delete one of those partitions to create a new one. Doing so will corrupt the recovery partition and you will not be able to use it.

Best to create some recovery disc's and then use the recovery manager to delete the recovery partition as it will no longer be needed. Use a good brand name and DVD-R or DVD+R.

The catch 22 is that if it comes time to use your recovery disc's it will wipe out your own custom partition too, along with everything in it. Using third party software may prevent the HP recovery disc's from wiping out your custom partition, but there is no guarantee here.

Best to use an external hard drive caddy to save your valuable files and forget about creating any partitions. This also has a huge advantage when the laptops hard drive fails. When it does, any partitions you have created will not be accessible anyway.

Creating portions is a waste of time. Nothing is safe in there when the hard drive fails (1 to 3 years).

Honor Student
Takisha
Message 3 of 4 (374 Views)

Re: How to divide a 577 GB C local disk so that the HDD doesn't convert into dynamic?

Thank you for your reply. You helped me a lot! I'm creating a recovery media right now. I'm assuming that if I run it, say, after a year, it will reset the laptop to its factory settings?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 4 (370 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is a guide from Danial Potyrala too, that you may find useful as well.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/How-to-repartition-HDD-of-HP-notebook-with-...

Just to be on the safe side W7 also has software to create a mirror image of the hard drive, it saves it exactly the way it is at the time of creation.

Go to the control panel and find "Back Up and Restore". In the left column find "Create A System Image" and "Create a System Repair Disc". These two applications work together to restore the OS. You boot from the repair disc and follow the prompts to insert you first disc.

To answer your question, the restore discs will work tomorrow and 10 years from now. Keep them stored in a cool place out of the sun. Do not keep them on an open shelf in the summer where it gets hot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation