Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I own two laptops all from hp and I bought them at the same time. The HP ENVY 15-j051nr and the HP ENVY 17-j029nr all with amazing specs and performance.<br><br>But my main issue that bothers me seriously is the keyboard flex. The keyboard of both laptops flex so badly it's extremely annoying.considering the price these laptops go for, it makes you feel like they're just utterly cheap and of low quality meanwhile they're not.<br><br>QUESTION::<br>Is there anyway to fix the keyboard flex?<br><br>I can handle any opening up and tightening some screws or any fix that would require me to open the laptop up.<br><br>Generally all answers relating to help fix the issue of keyboard flex is welcome.
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi I'm having the same trouble with my envy 15 as well. 

It went for ca 780 pounds but they keyboard is absolutely horrible. The "T" barely registers ( it actually left out the t in that "the".... ) 

I´m trying to mail hp support but it seems to be impossible!! I´ll try their online chat support tomorrow, I had better luck with that last time. I hate calling cus getting help can take ages and be really expensive from a mobile 😕 

If you get yours sorted somehow please tell! I´m gonna asked to have it fixed or be allowed to get my money back or something. The specs are good and it works well, but the keyboard is just.. barely usable to put it harsly. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my new Envy 17 m7-j078 model, hope HP comes with a solution!

HP Recommended

I was meaning a solution to fix the strong keyboard flex on the left side of my new HP Envy m7-j078ca model...Or an explanation if it's normal or not??

HP Recommended

It is normal. I was provided an Envy 17-j029nr as a "loaner/tester" by HP to facilitate my participation in this Forum. My ONLY complaint is keyboard flex and nonresponsiveness. It will not recognize double letters. If I try to type "letters" it always comes out "leters" unless I slow down and punch the "t" twice very distinctly and slowly. I am thinking about trying to remove the keyboard and possibly stick a piece of thin rigid steel plate under the keyboard to hold it up but the keyboard is an island key type and not easy to get to and I cannot disassemble it too much.

HP Recommended

I'm glad it's normal even if it dont lokk normal. I have no problem with typing, everything works great! My only issue is the Keybord flex on the left side.

Thak you forthe response.

HP Recommended
HP should mention that the Keyboard flex, and is normal!
HP Recommended

I have receive a (e-mail) response from an HP technician Expert which says:      Good keyboards are always flexble and feather touch, this is not an issue.

The keyboard is so thin, in makes sense to have some flex...

HP Recommended
Hello,

So to solve this disgusting problem with my hp envy laptop's keyboard, I opened it up, had to disassemble basically:

Hard Drive, base plastic, fan, motherboard  (the pdf link below instructs how to disassemble)

HP 15t-j000 Service Guide

The bottom frame of the keyboard (silver in color) has some hollow areas, so I filled those with some paper cards and scotch tapes, (not more than couple of millimeters depending on your level of flex). The goal is to put a firm support under the base frame of the keyboard to push it firmly from the bottom.

After some trials, when you will uniformly fill the gaps between the keyboard base and anything below it i.e. plastic frame / motherboard  the flex will be just gone. For me the responsiveness also increased, typing is more comfortable with lesser typos and it is so awesome.

Caution:  be very very careful while disassembling and reassembling (take photos at each step), and while filling try not to block any air flow passage. If you are not sure, take help from someone who knows, but proceed at your own risk, and perhaps it may invalidate your warranty  but again the flex and non responsiveness of the keyboard for me was an Achilles heel, so use your own judgement.

HP Recommended

When my warranty is over, I will try what you have done, than you for the info.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.