Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Resolving Hardware and Software issues with a Hard Reset

Lately I have been seeing a large number of issues that can be resolve, or at the very least, try to be resolved with a hard reset. A hard reset is one of the basic troubleshooting steps for a large variety of issues. Issues like a none responsive keyboard, computer not booting properly, frozen software, etc. 

Why a hard reset works:

By performing a hard reset you have remove all electricity from the computer. This does not happen when you restart or shutdown the computer. Even by briefly removing the battery, there can still be electricity stored in capacitors. When you do the hard reset it removes every last drop of electricity from the computer. This will clear all RAM memory, and basically force the computer to reestablish a connection between the BIOs and the hardware. This will resolve some wonky issues a majority of the time and thus, why it is a great basic troubleshooting step.

To perform a hard reset, use the following steps:
  1. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
  2. Disconnect all external connected devices: USB storage devices, external displays, printers, etc.
  3. Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook computer.
  4. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
    NOTE: If your computer has a sealed non-removable battery, these steps will not work. Instead, refer to Use a Forced Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues on Notebook with a Sealed Non-Removable B... .
  5. Press and hold down the power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
  6. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook PC; but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  7. Press the power button to turn on computer.
  8. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally , and then press enter .
  9. After reconnecting each of the peripheral devices, you should run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers.

If you do not have a removable battery, be sure to follow the link above on how to use a Forced Reset. Hopefully this helps some new or advanced users resolve some of those weird issues we periodically run into.

Take care!!

Sean S

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If this does not resolve the issue you are having be sure to create a new thread and lists all the troubleshooting steps you have tried and also give a detailed explanation on the issue you are having.

Your friend from HP,
Sean S 🙂

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If this does not resolve the issue you are having be sure to create a new thread and lists all the troubleshooting steps you have tried and also give a detailed explanation on the issue you are having.

Your friend from HP,
Sean S 🙂

HP Recommended
what do I do about a Hard Disk failure? the test produced a failure ID #.
HP Recommended
I tried this for my Hp 2000 and the nonstopping loop is still here and nothing changed. Please help.
HP Recommended

LeBoss242

If you could expand on your issue a bit further it would be very helpful. When you refer to “nonstopping loop” is this a repair loop that you are stuck in? If so follow the steps I have outlined below.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-Software-Recovery/Attempting-repairs-loop/m-p...

If this is not the issue can you please provide information on you operating system, a more in-depth description of the issue and what steps you have taken if any.

Please re-post if you have any further questions or concerns.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended
I have an hp pavillion g7. Is win 8. Since upgrading , reluctantly, to 8.1' I have had nothing but issues, I ran advanced system care 7.1 pro (has always helped my systems), but now I get to the hp logo start up.. A few seconds later, then a quick flash blue screen of "found errors, trying to fix then will start up "' then immediately goes to hp logo and then flashes error again...constant looping. I tried removing battery n holding power in with nothing attached for hard reset, but to no avail...please advise
HP Recommended
I am having trouble with my HP pavilion that we bought today. It keeps telling us diagnosing your PC. Could you please help.
HP Recommended

I have a hp pl210t desktop running Windowsc 10. Can I do a had reset on it?

l

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.