Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi - I've been looking everywhere to find simple instructions on how to update my new Compaq 615 laptop's BIOS to F.0C (on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit) to help the noisy fan issue.

Can someone PLEASE provide me with a simple guide? I have the BIOS update downloaded but there are no clear instructions from there...

Any help very much appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Just run it like any other program. It is a Windows-based BIOS flash. Just make sure nothing else is running at the time, and you have the battery charged and the AC adapter plugged in.

HP Recommended

That easy?! Thanks very much, will try now. Wish they had just stated that on the HP web page!

HP Recommended

Sorry - just one final check before I run this. I ran the BIOS update and the instructions are below, it states that this is used with the SSM program and is for deploying via a network - this is the only BIOS update I can find for the laptop, do I still just run this BIOS update as a normal program WITHOUT the SSM program? Many thanks.

TITLE: ROM Image for HP Notebook System BIOS (68GVV) Remote ROM Flash - SSM compliant

VERSION: F.0C

DESCRIPTION:

This package creates files that contain a binary image for the System BIOS (ROM) for the listed notebook models with a 68GVV Family ROM. This package is used to flash the System ROM on target notebooks in a network. It requires

System Software Manager (SSM).

To determine the ROM family and ROM date, press F10 on the target notebook during startup to run the Setup Utility, and then view File/System Information.

PURPOSE: Routine

SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP46875

EFFECTIVE DATE: 23 November 2009

CATEGORY: BIOS

SSM SUPPORTED: Yes

PREREQUISITES:

System Software Manager

HOW TO USE:

NOTE: To flash the System BIOS on a target notebook in a network, the

System BIOS image must be used with SSM.

1. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a temporary, empty directory on your

hard drive.

2. Copy the SoftPaq to the file store.

Copyright (c) 2009 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

HP Recommended

Please - somebody must know, can I run this directly on my PC avoiding the SSM network deploy?

Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Yes, first run the installer you downloaded: sp46875.exe

After it finished, you will find the BIOS update in folder c:\SWSetup\sp46875.

Run HPQFlash.exe and follow the instructions.

HP Recommended

Hey - many thanks, that worked great. Not sure what difference its made to the fan yet but its quite quiet as I type this.....

HP Recommended

Hi.

I got my HP compaq 615 second hand. It was bought new in September 2009.

I tried the above method to flash the bios with the new version, but after clicking on HPQFlash I get a message saying: "The system does not contain the necessary WMI support for this version of HPQFlash. Please use version of HPQFlash proir to version 4.0"

I tried to check my current version, by pressing F10, but I couldn't see it in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

I also tried making a dvd with the rom.bin as the image, but it didn't work, because nero and imageburn didn't recognise it. So I mounted the .bin with virtual clone and then made a .iso of that with image burn, and then burned that to a dvd with nero, but that didn't work either. Am buying a rewritable cd today to try it on that, but have also downloaded f6 and f9 to try those first.

HP Recommended
I got it fixed. I downloaded f6 and made a bootable usb drive. Used that to get it to f6. Then I could use the new one. f.0c or whatever it is called. Also, my fan seems to be louder than when I had f0, but I like that because I'm putting in more ram today and want it to stay cooler.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.