Hp Pavilion DV6 SE fan making strange noise (11098 Views)
Top Student
Zutasu
Message 1 of 20 (11,098 Views)

Hp Pavilion DV6 SE fan making strange noise

About an hour and a half ago, while playing a game, my fan randomly started making a strange noise, that sounding like something was interfearing with it.  It was louder than the fan simply increasing its speed as temperatures got higher.  It sounded like a strange grinding noise.

I shut down my system, and turned it back on.  The noise mostly disappeared.  Roughly 5-10 minutes later, the same thing happened.  I shut down the system again.  I waited a few minutes before turning the system back on.  The fan was almost running as smooth as it normally does, but a small noise that can I can really only describe as machine like (compared to the fan running smoothly) is present.  I have to try and hear it to actually hear it though.

Ive been using my laptop for rouhgly 20 minutes and have had no problems thus far.  Although I do find it odd that my cpu temperatures are noticeably lower.  

My question is, what do I do if this continues to happen.  Will I have to send my system in for repairs?  Is there anything that could have caused this that I could avoid?

Honor Student
mischfer
Message 2 of 20 (11,075 Views)

Re: Hp Pavilion DV6 SE fan making strange noise

you can try to change the thermal settings in HP support assistant , or if still doesnt work go to hp.com and download the latest chipset and BIOS for your system , just try to make sure battery and AC adapter/charger are both properly connected and there will be no interruption during the update process..

but before all these steps, turn off the system and remove the battery , press and hold the power button for about 10-15 secs to drain the residual power in the system

we can do everything and anything , if we only know how to listen and understand....
Top Student
Zutasu
Message 3 of 20 (11,063 Views)

Its not so much the actual fan noise that is a problem, it just randomly makes a noise as if something is getting in the way of the fan, or the fan bearings are getting worn out.  But it seems hard to believe that they would be having that problem already after only owning the laptop for 8 months.

Ill try updating the chipset and bios though.

Grad Student
Homerepairman
Message 4 of 20 (11,058 Views)

Sounds to me like your fan sucked something up into it.

I hope you do not use it on a bed,  couch, carpet or worse yet your lap.

Smooth hard surface ALWAYS !!!!!

If you have a can of compressed cleaning propellent, (made for electronics), blow the intake and exhaust ports out.

A good idea to do the  keyboard as well.

GL

Top Student
Zutasu
Message 5 of 20 (11,053 Views)

I have always used it on a desk or hard surface.  I agree that it could be that, but since it isn't always making the noise, could that still be a cause?

Grad Student
Homerepairman
Message 6 of 20 (11,043 Views)

Sure could. Your fan speed will vary at times pending load conditions when things start heating up.

You may only hear it at higher speeds when the air flow is greater.

You are at that time period when it should be cleaned anyways.

Its worth the few bucks for a can.

Do not use a vacuum cleaner!

The hot/fast moving air creates static as it goes thru the hose and as you may know a static discharge inside you notebook could be hazardous.

GL

Top Student
Zutasu
Message 7 of 20 (11,038 Views)

Ah, alright.  Ill definitely do that then.  Is there anything I should do or steps I should take when using a can of compressed air to clean the vents out?

Grad Student
Homerepairman
Message 8 of 20 (11,037 Views)

Just common sense really.

I would pull the battery just to be safe.

Have a well lit area and be careful with the tip and dont push it into the vents too far.

The dust will probably fly so beware.

GL

Top Student
Zutasu
Message 9 of 20 (11,030 Views)

Is it necessary to hold the fan in place to prevent it from spinning when using the air on the vents?

Grad Student
Homerepairman
Message 10 of 20 (11,025 Views)

No not at all. It will actually help blow or force any small pieces of junk out.

Just move the tip around and hit every opening you can.

Blow in every direction and then again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation