Question

Student
SunKissedRdr
Message 1 of 3 (3,155 Views)

Hp dv6000 Hard Drive Recovery?

My HP dv6000 laptop is dead (again). Last time it was the motherboard,  but now it is out of warranty and I doubt there is much I can do to fix it. I've already purchased a new laptop, but I need to know how to recover all of the files (documents, music, pics) from the dead laptop.

Last time the motherboard died the tech department at my job was able to remove the harddrive and recover everything. I'm no longer there, but seeing as the laptop has all the same symptoms I'm assuming it is the same issue, and that I should be able to retrieve all the files.

Step by step anyone? I know you can buy an enclosure for a hard drive with a USB cable to plug into another computer, but I have no idea what exactly I need or how much of a process this will be!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 3 (3,124 Views)

Re: Hp dv6000 Hard Drive Recovery?

Remove the hard drive from the dv6000, use a hard drive to usb adapter to connect it to the new notebook, then use windows explorer to copy the files you need.

Your service manual HERE

It will have a guide on how to remove the hard drive.

PhD Student
Knute
Message 3 of 3 (3,058 Views)

Re: Hp dv6000 Hard Drive Recovery?

Did that resolve your issue?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation