Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

Can I upgrade my notebook with a new (better) CPU?

It's the Hp pavilion 17-e150eb with a i5 4200U processor inside.

Already thanks...

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Provide Product Number of your machine please.

How to find you PN ? click here

HP Recommended

I don't have the machine here for now. This is the only information I can give.

HP Recommended

What I see, is that there is just one machine in number of 17-e150eb?

HP Recommended

for example F9F49EA is one of product numbers of 17-e150eb.

Product number is specify technical information for your machine  thats is nessesary for us to know to give you a correct answer 

HP Recommended

Do you know or the BIOS can support CPU's like Intel Core i7 4770, which i can buy on the computerstore?

HP Recommended

This is the productnumber: F9f49ea#uug

HP Recommended

The highest and best processor is this one:

Intel Pentium i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.2 GHz, 1600 MHz, 6MB L3 cache, DDR3, quad core, 35 W)
701658-001

This is the Service Manual:

The i7 processor will fit in the same socket as the i5 you have now. This is not a trivial procedure as it would be on a desktop. I recommend getting an experienced technician to help. Also you need to be aware that the processor upgrade will not improve video performance much, if at all. The video is dependent on the video chip which would stay the same. Also the i7 processor will not be inexpensive.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 
HP Recommended

Hi Hutter,

Are you sure about the compatibility? Because the i5 4200u cpu is a 4th generation Intel Core i5 (Haswell) and the i7-3632QM is a 3th generation Intel Core i7. Does the motherboard and BIOS support this for sure?

What about the cooling and power, isn't it a problem when it's changed?

It is nog my first HP notebook i will disassembly. But i don't want to invest in a high performance CPU when it gonna wrong. That's the reason why i ask the question here firstly, before doing something stupidly...

2 other questions;

- Did it need to disable the UEFI funtion after changed the CPU?

- Will my Windows 8 licence still be recognized?

HP Recommended

My bad. This is the top processor:

Intel® Core® i7-4702MQ 2.20 GHz processor (SC turbo up to 2.90 GHz; 1600 MHz FSB, 6.0 MB L3 cache, quad core, 37 W)

The Manual covers HM76 (3rd gen) and HM86 (4th gen) chipset models. Yours is HM86.

This would be your motherboard:

For use only on computer models equipped with the Intel HM86 chipset, a graphics subsystem with 1 GB of discrete memory, and the Windows 8 Standard operating system 735080-501

I am not sure why you would want to disable UEFI, but there would be no reason to do so just because you have changed the processor. Your Windows 8 license will still be recognized. It is embedded in the BIOS chip and you will not be changing that. The cooling fan and heatsink are designed for all compatible processors. There is no other one available to install. The laptop will likely run a bit warmer, but the cooler should be able to handle it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.