Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

I have Hp notebook and i need your help to upgrade my system Ram. Below is the machine info:

Model Name:  HP550

Product num: FS335AA#ACJ

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40mz

O.S: Windows 7 Ultimate

It has 1gb ram. I am running win7 but 1gb ram makes firefox with few open tabs very slow. I wanna upgrade it. So my questions are:

1.) Which RAM model i should buy(DDR2 OR DDR3)  which support my device?

2.) How many slots it has?

3.) As 1gb is installed, can i install another 1gb to make it total of 2gb or I have to buy single 2gb ram?

4.) What combinations are allowed, like 1gb-1gb, 2gb-1gb, 2gb-2gb, only 2gb, only 4gb?

Also please tell me if any software or driver upgrade is required after installing another ram and if system itself can configure itself.

Please help me.

Every suggestion or recomendation is welcome and will be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

1 & 2: Please refer to this:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Compaq-memory/HP+Business+Notebooks/HP+550+(Intel+GLE960)-upgrades.ht...

3. Most likely your laptop has 512Mb+512Mb now

4. Therefore you need 1Gb+1Gb and throw away the previous 2 sticks.

Hope this helps.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Can i use different pair like can it be 1gb-2gb  or 2gb-2gb. Does it make sense to install 4gb or 2gb is enough. Also can i install 3gb.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you checked the above link ? Your machine supports only 1Gb + 1 Gb (2 Gb max). The above link shows RAM is very cheap now. There are 2 possibilities:

1. Your machine currently has 512Mb + 312Mb
  2. You machine has 1Gb + empty slot

If #1, you have to buy two sticks, 1Gb each to make max 2Gb. If #2, you only need to buy 1Gb stick and put into the empty slot. You can download this small program called CPU-z to check those slots. This example is from 1 of my machines. It shows the machine has 2 slots and each slot has 2Gb of RAM:

ram.png

Regards,

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I checked using Cpu z and it says that I currently have 1gb in slot-2 and slot-1 is empty and the Installed memory is of MOSEL brand.

But there is one problem that my RAM is ddr2-667mhz (pc2-5300), but this program says that its bandwidth is 333mmz.

Should i buy same brand or can i buy another one too. Also, can i put 2gb stick in empty slot bcoz my laptop support maximum 4gb of memory. Is it necessary to have equal memory in 2 slots, means 1-1gb or 2-2gb.

HP Recommended

kalra182 wrote:But there is one problem that my RAM is ddr2-667mhz (pc2-5300), but this program says that its bandwidth is 333mmz..

Hi,

Well, 333MHz almost = 667MHz / 2 therefore this is ok. You ran with 1 slot before therefore should be ok with 1+2 configuration. You can run as 1+1 or 2+2 if you wish.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Sorry to trouble all of you with silly questions but you forgot to mention if i need to buy same brand.

HP Recommended

@kalra182 wrote:

Sorry to trouble all of you with silly questions but you forgot to mention if i need to buy same brand.

Hi,

The dual channel book says: same brand, same model .. to get full benefits.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Gone through your replies about RAM upgrade for HP 550. 

I have same question. But my lappy is having differnt processor and RAM made of.

Please suggest. 

Gone through config check on Crucial .com. and found this. It shows my lappy can have max of 4096 of RAM. 

Ram config.JPG

Can you suggest can I go for it? if Yes which Brand I need to use. I think probably 2-2 GB I need to use. Please suggest. Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.