Question

Tutor
Klau
Message 1 of 8 (1,109 Views)
Accepted Solution

I can't install OS (Windows 8)

Hello to everyone! I have a laptop  HP dv6922et  with core 2 duo t8100 ,2 gb Ram. What I want to do is  to install an operating system. I wish to have Windows 8 on it,because this run ok,and Xp is outdate*. 

I have a bootable USB stick with windows 8.Recently,I mounted on it a HDD Toshiba 320 GB from a friend's laptop which has windows 7 installed on it. All I wanted to do is to run windows 8 installation,format HDD and install OS on clear. But I can't do that. I inserted the usb stick,I boot up the stick,and windows 8 logo appears.Before loading win8 installation,an error apears.  I have here and here 2 pictures

And here,an error from i from windows boot manager.

I already tryed installation with Vista,7 with the same results. Only XP SP3 works(but I don't want Xp!) I also inserted an UBUNTU usb to run ubuntu 12.04 from stick(but it freeze at bootloadling files).    I think bootsector is corrupted.I don't have to  money now for reparation,and I really don't want to buy another HDD.

I appreciate any help!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Top Student
derick_souza
Message 2 of 8 (1,091 Views)

Re: I can't install OS (Windows 8)

Tutor
Klau
Message 3 of 8 (1,089 Views)

I know... but I know people who have dv6700 with windows 8. It has support only for xp and vista,yeah.But,what about my old HP 550  ,which runs windows 8 fine (only celeron 2 ghz,2 gb ram) ,and it has support only for xp,vista.     I think if vista work on this laptop,it should work windows 7&8 .                 If support max xp,then 7 and 8 won't work on that machine... 

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 8 (1,082 Views)

[ Edited ]

These are odd screenshots that only come up when an already installed OS is having issues. And one of the errors refers to memtest. Have you tried to run a memory diagnostic?

Yes, your laptop should be able to run Windows 8. You would not likely need to install any drivers; your laptop is of the age where all the drivers should be incorporated into Windows 8.

I would use dban on the hard drive before trying to install Windows 8.

http://www.dban.org/download

Make the bootable CD from the .iso file and boot from it and let it run a full DOD wipe on the hard drive. Let it run overnight in other words. I would also try a hard drive diagnostic from the Setup (BIOS-F10).

Problems with memory or the hard drive can cause funky errors when trying to install an OS and I think you might be having one of those kind of problems. XP installs differently than Vista and 7 and 8 installs differently than anything so it is not surprising XP install might work when the others will not.

Tutor
Klau
Message 5 of 8 (1,078 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes.The windows 7 installed on that HDD which I mounted on my laptop is having issues.  Do you reffer at Memory diagnostic from BIOS? Yes,I run a memory test from BIOS and show me PASSED. I didn't try HDD diagnostic yet(duration 138 min),but I will try tomorrow. (Laptop is now in service because this problem was stressful for me). Tomorrow I will check if the service operator was succeed. But I will try your strong advice. Thank you so much. If someone who has in the past a simillar issue,is welcome to give me some advice. Thanks...

Edit: Also I should check autonuke or gutmann wipe ?  http://www.trishtech.com/security/wipe_your_hard_disk_using_dban.php

Provost
Huffer
Message 6 of 8 (1,061 Views)

Either one will work but I like Gutmann...not as many passes

Tutor
Klau
Message 7 of 8 (1,051 Views)

[ Edited ]

http://www.trishtech.com/security/wipe_your_hard_disk_using_dban.php 

After I boot up my usb stick with dban,when I hit enter for interactive mode,my screen becomes black. I waited half an hour and nothing....  Any suggestions ?  My laptop has an  HDD adaptor also (without it,a HDD cannot be placed in notebook,all dv6700 has)

Edit:I tested the same stick on my computer,and dban runs fine.The interactive mode appears. But what about with my notebook ? Does it miss any driver ?

Bios version F.58

LATER EDIT: It seems dban doesn't work on this notebook.I will try  killdisk. I have already booted an cd with killdisk PRO and later on I will start a gutmann erase. I will back here with the results.

Tutor
Klau
Message 8 of 8 (1,030 Views)

[ Edited ]

with gutmann takes me 55:50:00 ...a lot of time. I can't wait 2 days. I will try Dod-7 passes,not 35 like gutmann. I will come back w ith results..

After 1 day waiting,tried full Dod... I thought today it was HDD problem . But not. Why Ubuntu doesn't run from usb? Why windows won't load when I mounted another HDD (good for another laptop) on my notebook?It was a memory chip. I have 1x1 gb memory ddr2 and one of them was broken.. I replaced both and now It runs smoothly,I will upgrade to 8 gb RAM in the future. I finally installed windows 8 on my laptop... all works amazing... 

THX for advice,with that,I succeed to eliminate the possibilites of the problem.Thanks you so much Huffer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation