Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 8 (1,716 Views)
Accepted Solution

I can't install OS (Windows 8)

Hello to everyone! I have a laptop  HP dv6922et  with core 2 duo t8100 ,2 gb Ram. What I want to do is  to install an operating system. I wish to have Windows 8 on it,because this run ok,and Xp is outdate*. 

I have a bootable USB stick with windows 8.Recently,I mounted on it a HDD Toshiba 320 GB from a friend's laptop which has windows 7 installed on it. All I wanted to do is to run windows 8 installation,format HDD and install OS on clear. But I can't do that. I inserted the usb stick,I boot up the stick,and windows 8 logo appears.Before loading win8 installation,an error apears.  I have here and here 2 pictures

And here,an error from i from windows boot manager.

I already tryed installation with Vista,7 with the same results. Only XP SP3 works(but I don't want Xp!) I also inserted an UBUNTU usb to run ubuntu 12.04 from stick(but it freeze at bootloadling files).    I think bootsector is corrupted.I don't have to  money now for reparation,and I really don't want to buy another HDD.

I appreciate any help!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Accepted Solution

Re: I can't install OS (Windows 8)

These are odd screenshots that only come up when an already installed OS is having issues. And one of the errors refers to memtest. Have you tried to run a memory diagnostic?

Yes, your laptop should be able to run Windows 8. You would not likely need to install any drivers; your laptop is of the age where all the drivers should be incorporated into Windows 8.

I would use dban on the hard drive before trying to install Windows 8.

http://www.dban.org/download

Make the bootable CD from the .iso file and boot from it and let it run a full DOD wipe on the hard drive. Let it run overnight in other words. I would also try a hard drive diagnostic from the Setup (BIOS-F10).

Problems with memory or the hard drive can cause funky errors when trying to install an OS and I think you might be having one of those kind of problems. XP installs differently than Vista and 7 and 8 installs differently than anything so it is not surprising XP install might work when the others will not.

View solution in context
Top Student
Message 2 of 8 (1,698 Views)

Tutor
Message 3 of 8 (1,696 Views)

I know... but I know people who have dv6700 with windows 8. It has support only for xp and vista,yeah.But,what about my old HP 550  ,which runs windows 8 fine (only celeron 2 ghz,2 gb ram) ,and it has support only for xp,vista.     I think if vista work on this laptop,it should work windows 7&8 .                 If support max xp,then 7 and 8 won't work on that machine... 

Provost
Message 4 of 8 (1,689 Views)

[ Edited ]

These are odd screenshots that only come up when an already installed OS is having issues. And one of the errors refers to memtest. Have you tried to run a memory diagnostic?

Yes, your laptop should be able to run Windows 8. You would not likely need to install any drivers; your laptop is of the age where all the drivers should be incorporated into Windows 8.

I would use dban on the hard drive before trying to install Windows 8.

http://www.dban.org/download

Make the bootable CD from the .iso file and boot from it and let it run a full DOD wipe on the hard drive. Let it run overnight in other words. I would also try a hard drive diagnostic from the Setup (BIOS-F10).

Problems with memory or the hard drive can cause funky errors when trying to install an OS and I think you might be having one of those kind of problems. XP installs differently than Vista and 7 and 8 installs differently than anything so it is not surprising XP install might work when the others will not.

Tutor
Message 5 of 8 (1,685 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes.The windows 7 installed on that HDD which I mounted on my laptop is having issues.  Do you reffer at Memory diagnostic from BIOS? Yes,I run a memory test from BIOS and show me PASSED. I didn't try HDD diagnostic yet(duration 138 min),but I will try tomorrow. (Laptop is now in service because this problem was stressful for me). Tomorrow I will check if the service operator was succeed. But I will try your strong advice. Thank you so much. If someone who has in the past a simillar issue,is welcome to give me some advice. Thanks...

Edit: Also I should check autonuke or gutmann wipe ?  http://www.trishtech.com/security/wipe_your_hard_disk_using_dban.php

Provost
Message 6 of 8 (1,668 Views)

Either one will work but I like Gutmann...not as many passes

Tutor
Message 7 of 8 (1,658 Views)

[ Edited ]

http://www.trishtech.com/security/wipe_your_hard_disk_using_dban.php 

After I boot up my usb stick with dban,when I hit enter for interactive mode,my screen becomes black. I waited half an hour and nothing....  Any suggestions ?  My laptop has an  HDD adaptor also (without it,a HDD cannot be placed in notebook,all dv6700 has)

Edit:I tested the same stick on my computer,and dban runs fine.The interactive mode appears. But what about with my notebook ? Does it miss any driver ?

Bios version F.58

LATER EDIT: It seems dban doesn't work on this notebook.I will try  killdisk. I have already booted an cd with killdisk PRO and later on I will start a gutmann erase. I will back here with the results.

Highlighted
Tutor
Message 8 of 8 (1,637 Views)

[ Edited ]

with gutmann takes me 55:50:00 ...a lot of time. I can't wait 2 days. I will try Dod-7 passes,not 35 like gutmann. I will come back w ith results..

After 1 day waiting,tried full Dod... I thought today it was HDD problem . But not. Why Ubuntu doesn't run from usb? Why windows won't load when I mounted another HDD (good for another laptop) on my notebook?It was a memory chip. I have 1x1 gb memory ddr2 and one of them was broken.. I replaced both and now It runs smoothly,I will upgrade to 8 gb RAM in the future. I finally installed windows 8 on my laptop... all works amazing... 

THX for advice,with that,I succeed to eliminate the possibilites of the problem.Thanks you so much Huffer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation