Question

Top Student
fedupnow
Message 1 of 11 (9,308 Views)

I have a new HP notebook with Ralink RT3290 but I cannot connect to wireless networks.

HP Pavilion dm1

Windows 8

I have been having no end of problems with this HP PC. The latest issue is that it cannot connect to most wireless networks. I can click the wireless icon and see the network name, and type in the password but after that the PC alwys returns "Can't connect to this network".

I have updated the BIOS and network driver and run all Windows diagnostics as suggested by HP support documents.

The problem is definitely in the laptop since I cannot connect to my work network nor my phone's hotspot. I can configure the settings on the phone's hotspot, so I know the settings given to the PC are exactly correct.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 11 (9,283 Views)

Re: I have a new HP notebook with Ralink RT3290 but I cannot connect to wireless networks.

Could you please give me the exact model number of your notebook?

You can use the following document if you need assistance in finding it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?tmp_renderType=findModel&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00033108&...

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
HPHelpSucks
Message 3 of 11 (9,223 Views)

Re: I have a new HP notebook with Ralink RT3290 but I cannot connect to wireless networks.

Yes, even I have a same problem. I have HP Pavilion g6 with Window8 (1 month old laptop) and I am able to connect to home wireless alright but unable to connect to work wireless Cisco router.  My friend has Lenevo with Windows8 and he is able to connect to work Cisco wireless router.

The difference I see is my friend has Intel Centrino Wireless chipset in his Lenovo machine and I have Ralink Wireless Chipset. I updated the driver from Windows website and the problem still exists.

Called HP and Microsoft for help but they cannot resolve the problem. Ralink chipset and overall HP system sucks! This is the first time I have bought HP and not very happy with their support. I think I will stay with Dell next time.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 4 of 11 (9,201 Views)

Hello,

Please take a look at this document, which provides troubleshooting steps that hopefully, will help resolve your issue.

Please let me know.  If you reply, please include your product number.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
fedupnow
Message 5 of 11 (9,190 Views)

Hi All,

I have already tried all the suggestions in the document.

The reason I didn't post back is because I haven't even taken the computer out of the case since the last post.

The model number is dm1-4341sa.

Hope you can help! Thank you!

Top Student
fedupnow
Message 6 of 11 (9,188 Views)

Yeah, I'm using my old Dell laptop at the moment. Three years old and no problems. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of HP.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 7 of 11 (9,181 Views)

There are a ton of troubleshooting steps in that document... saying you tried everything on that page doesn't help much in telling me where things are breaking down in your troubleshooting efforts.

If you give me more specific info about what you tried and the results, it would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
JET70
Message 8 of 11 (9,108 Views)

I have the same problem with the 6-1110US and the RT3290.  Connects to EVERYTHING fine but my work router which invalidates almost that entire support document.   I can even connect using my Android phone as a hotspot.  It's something that's missing with these drivers that is apparently an issue with enterprise routers.  I've read a lot of other things when searching for RT3290 and the error message "can't connect to this network". 

I've even reinstalled the drivers.  I'd be running Win7 on it if Win8 wasn't forced down our throat by HP.

Top Student
fedupnow
Message 9 of 11 (9,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

network_error.jpg

Hi,

I've been through the document again, except for the restore the factory settings and contact your ISP sections because I've already factory reset the PC and the ISP is my phone so I can be sure the connection is working and all settings are correct.

Even although I've done all the trouble shooting steps in the document, I'm still getting the error above.

--> I contacted the HP technician per the next reply and have had some progress!

Many thanks.

Top Student
fedupnow
Message 10 of 11 (9,046 Views)

Hi All,

I've been chatting to the HP Support technician, and strangely it seems it now works with my phone after reinstalling all the drivers again and then connecting as an unsecured hotspot and then reconnecting with a secured, but I still need to check my office Wifi.

Will post back with updates!

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation