Question

Tutor
AlexCollins
Message 1 of 10 (3,458 Views)

Intel Core i7-2670QM Overheating

I currently own an Hp Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC with the i7 core, 8 gigs of ram and the 7690m XT GPU. I am a light gamer, occasionally playing games such as Minecraft, terraria, and League of Legends. My CPU temps while playing Minecraft reach around 87 C with the temperature in the room being around 22 C. I know that Minecraft is a CPU intensive game, but Minecraft does not take a lot of specs. My CPU load is at max only 20% when playing and I am using Real Temp to record my temps. Gaphics card does not overheat, reaching max temps of mid 70s. While playing more needy games, such as Sanctum, the cpu has reached a total of 95+C, recording a log in the thermal status. This is quite dissapointing since an i7 core on a laptop should be able to stay quite cool particularly when I payed a lot of money for it. I do not really want to replace the heatsinks with better ones since I've heard it voids your warrenty. Please, any suggestions?

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 10 (3,452 Views)

Re: Intel Core i7-2670QM Overheating

Hi,
Please write your notebook product number (p/n), which system are you using and country of purchase.

Resource:
How to Locate the Notebook product number (p/n)

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Tutor
AlexCollins
Message 3 of 10 (3,447 Views)

My product number is A1L73AV. I am currently using Windows 7 Proffessional 64 bit and I bought my laptop in the USA.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 10 (3,445 Views)

Update the Bios.

How to update Bios?

Download the latest Bios update from here.

Plug the AC adapter to the netbook. 

Disconnect from the Internet. Close all currently running programs. Disable anti-virus and firewall.

Double-click the Bios update exe file. It may take some time, so it is important to remain patient, do not interrupt the process. Allow the notebook to restart after applying the updated BIOS.

While this update is running do not:

• switch off your laptop, 
  • unplug the AC adapter,
  • try to run any software or do anything on the notebook.

Note:

The Bios update process is always risky. You will do this at your own risk.

Use a notebook cooler to reduce heat buildup.

This is specially recommended for a gamers.

Resource:

Notebook Coolers : A Buyers Guide

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Tutor
AlexCollins
Message 5 of 10 (3,443 Views)

I allready have the latest bios. I guess if there is nothing else I'll just try out a notebook cooler and see if it helps...

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 6 of 10 (3,440 Views)

Remember too that you have warranty which you may use by contacting with HP.

How to do it? Check the link below and choose your country:
Contact HP Worldwide

Tutor
AlexCollins
Message 7 of 10 (3,439 Views)

Yes well thanks for you support. I am glad that atleast someone is trying to help with my problems.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 8 of 10 (3,436 Views)

I'm glad that you do not feel disapointed with my answers. Have a great day.

One more thing. If you feel that the fan is not working as good as it should then you may try to perform a hard reset:

1. Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC.
  2. Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
  3. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station, disconnect cables to printers or devices such as external monitors, USB memory sticks or SD cards, headset or external speakers, mouse or auxiliary keyboard, turn off WIFI and Bluetooth wireless devices.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
  5. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook PC; but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  6. Press the power button to turn the notebook PC back on.
  7. If prompted to boot into Safe Mode or select a special type of start up, use the arrow keys to highlight Start Windows Normally , and then press the enter key.

Student
damascus
Message 9 of 10 (2,661 Views)

hp i7-2670qm driver

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 10 of 10 (2,615 Views)

Hello damascus.  I understand you're looking for a driver.

You didn't mention what computer or operating system you're using.  However, if you're trying to locate a driver the easiest method is to use HP Support Assistant.  You'll need to install both the HP Software Framework and HP Support Assistant.

You can then run HP Support Assistant and it will scan your system and install any missing or updated drivers.

Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation