Internal Card Reader Driver Will Not Install -- Pavilion g4-1319tu (696 Views)
Top Student
ThaiGuy
Message 1 of 1 (696 Views)

Internal Card Reader Driver Will Not Install -- Pavilion g4-1319tu

[ Edited ]

1. Product Name and Number: HP Pavilion g4-1319tu

2. Operating System installed: Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

3. Error message: none

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred: none

At first my card reader did not show up at all in Device Manager until after I actually inserted an SDHC card yesterday 17 jUNE 2012. Windows recognized the card and installed its own driver, Microsoft driver version 6.1.7600.16385 dated 21/6/2006, with the device's manufacturer being listed also in Device Manager as only "(Standard disk drives)" at Location 0, with the status shown as "This device is working properly". The card reader worked (and still works) and appears -- but only with the SD card inserted, otherwise it does not appear at all -- in both in Device Manager and in Computer>Devices with Removable Storage. I went to HP's Support Wizard site to update the driver. The site detected my product correctly and offered an update, "Realtek Card Reader Driver -Version: 6.1.7601.85" (sp55030) to download. I downloaded it and installed it. The newly downloaded driver shows up in Programs and Features. However, even after many uninstall / re-install attempts, the new driver version refuses to show in Device Manager's driver properties for the device. It also does not show when in Device Manager I try to manually update by "Browse my computer for driver software>Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer". All that shows is the old generic Microsoft driver named above. If while in Device Manager, I try to update the driver manually by "Browse my computer for driver software>Search for driver software in this location (folder where it is saved on my notebook)", it shows, but still will not update / install. A message pops up saying there is no driver in that location. In addition, after I eject and physically remove the SD card from my notebook, the device and driver also disappear from Device Manager until I re-insert the card, even when Device Manager is set to "Show hidden devices". Please advise.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation