Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,
My old laptop was a Lenovo something which was duplicated 1 for me and the same version for my parents..
I use to keep my AC out when 100% or my battery out when I'm at home.|
While they were plugged in - overcharging 24/7..
After 2 years mine was still great while theirs is now barely 10 minutes battery life.. You just unplug the AC and the PC screams low power..

Well now I have a new laptop: HP EliteBook 2570p, with a proper docking station for it..
I was half ear told that the docking station should smartly protect my battery life and I can count on it to not keep feeding my PC when 100% is reached..
As it sounds believable for the size of the dock, and the fact that its almost impossible to plug out the battery without shutdown the PC first and it would be kinda silly if it wouldn't keep it.. BUT.. I don't wanna take the chance..

A Google search wouldn't give me a proper answer and the manual doesn't speak about this..

Could any expert please vote for a true answer if this might hurt or not
An explanation in addition is recommended

Thanks ahead !
Jordan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi McJordan,

HP Notebooks won't keep charging the battery once it has reached 100%.  Gennerally speaking, if the notebook battery is at or above 95% charged when plugged in, the notebook won't charge the battery further.  Charging will only occur after the battery has dropped below 95%, and only then will it charge up to 100% and then stop.  This is true with or without the docking station.

My own Probook, is currently sitting at 97% available (Plugged in, Not Charging) as I write this.

There are two things to keep in mind when using a docking station with a notebook, one is that heat is the enemy of batteries and many other components in a notebook, so make sure that the notebook is not overheating by ensuring that vents are clear and clean and there is adequate air flow around the notebook.  Also if you are using the Notebook primarily in the Docking Station so it is always connected to AC Power, at least once a month, take the notebook out of the docking station and allow it to use the battery down to where you get the warning that you need to plug it in, then put it back in the docking station and allow the battery to recharge to 100%.

I would also recommend reviewing the following two documents for additional tips on maintaining battery performance:

Improving Battery Performance (Windows 8, 7, Vista)

Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology

R

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi McJordan,

HP Notebooks won't keep charging the battery once it has reached 100%.  Gennerally speaking, if the notebook battery is at or above 95% charged when plugged in, the notebook won't charge the battery further.  Charging will only occur after the battery has dropped below 95%, and only then will it charge up to 100% and then stop.  This is true with or without the docking station.

My own Probook, is currently sitting at 97% available (Plugged in, Not Charging) as I write this.

There are two things to keep in mind when using a docking station with a notebook, one is that heat is the enemy of batteries and many other components in a notebook, so make sure that the notebook is not overheating by ensuring that vents are clear and clean and there is adequate air flow around the notebook.  Also if you are using the Notebook primarily in the Docking Station so it is always connected to AC Power, at least once a month, take the notebook out of the docking station and allow it to use the battery down to where you get the warning that you need to plug it in, then put it back in the docking station and allow the battery to recharge to 100%.

I would also recommend reviewing the following two documents for additional tips on maintaining battery performance:

Improving Battery Performance (Windows 8, 7, Vista)

Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology

R

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.