Question

Teacher
iam_fletcher
Message 1 of 3 (30,658 Views)

Is Your Screen not Turning on?

[ Edited ]

Is your computer screen failing to come on? Are all of the other lights comming on just fine, but your screen stays black? There are two common causes fro this...

a BIOS problem or OVERHEATING 

BIOS PROBLEM- Do a hard reset (take out the battery, the ac adapter, hold down the power button for 6-10 seconds, and turn it back on). If that works then you probably have a hibernation error(computer fails to wake up properly from hibernate mode) or a power manager error (BIOS forgets to tell the screen to turn on). Once you get logged back in, visit www.hp.com and download the latest BIOS update for your computer. Run this update. It will fix errors in the BIOS causing your screen not to turn on.

Overheating -If a hard reset doesn't fix it. Give your computer a half-hour or so and try again. If it turns back on, but only after time has passed, then you most certainly have an issue with overheating. This is the most common physical condition that trashes notebooks. If you notebook is over heating it may be due to the way you are using it. (The computer vents heat out of the bottom, it must be used on a solid flat surface, not a cloth or bunched up surface that will obstruct air flow) It may be the fan going out (as one of the few compnenets in a computer with physical moving parts, if somthing IS going to go out it is often the fan), or your computer might be full of dust.

If it is overheating due to being used wrong, stop using it wrong. Get a tv try or somthing is you HAVE to set it on your lap or bed. IF it is overheating due to Dust, you can try blowing it out with canned air. If it is overheating due to the FAN going out, call HP it will need to be replaced. Just remember, DO NOT ignore overheating issues, they only get worse, and one of these days the thing wont turn on at all and will become an expensive paper wieght.

Other -If the screen just WONT turn back on, but the other lights do come on, you have waited your thirty minutes, and you have done the hard reset, then your screen is probably bad. If the screen is pitch black then the video card or cable may have gone out. If you squint really really hard and look close and can barely see an image, then your screen is fine but the Backlight has gone out. In either of these cases you'll have to send it in for service.

Message Edited by iam_fletcher on 11-23-2008 08:47 PM
The First Sacred Law of Computers: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....Pick Two The Second Sacred Law of Computers: Ask not of others that which may be easier found by Google The Third Sacred Law of Computers: Thou shalt not ask about an error message one did not bother to write down
Top Student
Bryans83
Message 2 of 3 (30,487 Views)

Re: Is Your Screen not Turning on?

One thing that wasn't mentioned, is during the hard reset try reseating the RAM.  This could also help. I Experienced what I believe to be a botched BIOS update using WinFlash (Downloaded from HP Support specifically for my computer), and upon the computer restarting my Screen was blank.  I did have some heat issues with my machine (hense the BIOS update attempt), so it is either coincidence that the laptop stopped working the same time or the BIOS wasnt updated. 

If this is happening to you, call HP and get it sent in for repair.  Rumor has it, the only real fix is a motherboard replacement.  My Laptop went in for repair, and I haven't received it back yet, and haven't got confirmation that the failed BIOS update is the cause however it is common.  I will try to post when I get my machine back to advise everyone that could potentially experience this.

Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 3 of 3 (30,326 Views)

Re: Is Your Screen not Turning on?

Bryans83 wrote:

One thing that wasn't mentioned, is during the hard reset try reseating the RAM.  This could also help. I Experienced what I believe to be a botched BIOS update using WinFlash (Downloaded from HP Support specifically for my computer), and upon the computer restarting my Screen was blank.  I did have some heat issues with my machine (hense the BIOS update attempt), so it is either coincidence that the laptop stopped working the same time or the BIOS wasnt updated. 

If this is happening to you, call HP and get it sent in for repair.  Rumor has it, the only real fix is a motherboard replacement.  My Laptop went in for repair, and I haven't received it back yet, and haven't got confirmation that the failed BIOS update is the cause however it is common.  I will try to post when I get my machine back to advise everyone that could potentially experience this.

There are some nicer motherboards on the market that have the original bios backed up so that if you corupt your motherboard with a bad flash, you can reset it back to the default bios. I wish all motherboards were like this.

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation