Question
Keyboard Lettering Wearing Off on Pavilion dv7
Replies (21)

Top Student
Aquaman802
Message 11 of 22 (470 Views)

Re: Keyboard Lettering Wearing Off on Pavilion dv7

It's good to hear they replaced it.  I had problems with my keyboard lettering wearing off.  I called HP several times and they kept blaming on me.  Finally I got the right person who looked into it and they replaced it.  I sent it to HP and they replaced the keyboard and the new keyboard is perfect.  After several months of use there is no sign of any lettering wearing off.

Some of us got a bad keyboards and it is HP's responsibility to work with their supplier to fix.  Other than that, I am very happy wtih the laptop.

Student
songli5
Message 12 of 22 (428 Views)

This is an old post. However, I would like to say you do NOT need to purchase a new keyboard. There are keyboard letter replacement stickers available...some of high quality. Here's an example website: http://www.thekeyboardcompany.com/keyboard-stickers/replacement-keyboard-stickers/  My last two HP keyboards had letters to wear out...the latest one started wearing within months. These stickers are a savings! 

Top Student
Francisca57
Message 13 of 22 (134 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with my Pavilion 15, bought in the middle of Nov. 2013. The keys started wearing off maybe in less than a month. I bought it in France. In the meanwhile I came to the UK and it has been very bothersome. First a guy told me that they would exchange the keyboard but I couldn't miss my computer for a whole week. Weeks later I contacted them again and they said that they wouldn't do it because it is not under warranty, it is wear and tear but after less than a month?

My husband has another model of Pavilion bought in Switzerland quite a while ago and has no problem whatsoever but I have to say that although the price of both was the same his look a lot more solid. Now I have a computer with a French keyboard, so they can't send me a British one anyway as it is not easy to change one for the other, I am not going to back to France. My computer technician looked into the price to buy a new one but suprise, surprise, these keyboards are a lot more expensive than the normal ones, surely 4x as much.

Something else of interest, all these posts are already quite old but HP told me they had never heard of this problem!

Tutor
bw00ds
Message 14 of 22 (122 Views)

I hope you get to read this. In my experience, you just have to be insistent and persistent. If you get a "no" answer from one tech, call again and insist that they replace your keyboard under warranty. It seems that it depends on the tech and the tech's supervisor of the day whether or not they will replace your keyboard. Letters wearing out in a short period of time is a manufacturing flaw and should be covered under warranty. Just be persistent and insistent.

Top Student
Francisca57
Message 15 of 22 (118 Views)

Thanks and you are absolutely right! As I told them I am a woman nearing 60, a housewife, I don't run a business or anything, shouldn't the keys of a modern computer last for a while? It wasn't even a cheap one..... But weird that they tell me that this has never happened and they post this problems on their own website! Very weird indeed! And very dishonest! They are just trying to shut people up while this has bee happening for years! HP....  never again, I don't trust them anymore, sorry! I even asked them to exchange this model for another one, as I know that other models don't have the same problem but they didn't want to hear of it. As someone else said here what is the point of going to the trouble of replacing this keyboard by the same one??????? This is a disgrace and to think that I gave up my old Fujitsu just because after 7 years the keys were a bit worn out.....

Top Student
Francisca57
Message 16 of 22 (107 Views)

Update: I was contacted by the complaints manager who offered to exchange the damaged keys. I explained to her that this is not an option because I can't have keys exchanged every month! I also can't miss the laptop for a week (just imagine doing it on a monthly basis..... ridiculous!). I pointed her to this page but she says she can't comment on it. I also pointed out that these problems have existed since 2011, how on earth can they still be selling the same keyboards at the end of 2013 and I presume even now in 2014? Now I understand why the keyboard is not part of the warranty.... I am going to contact the Citizens Advice or the Trading Standards at her advice but.. more hassle! When I asked her to speak to someone more senior that wasn't possible.

Tutor
SteveRock
Message 17 of 22 (100 Views)

They probably would have sent you a new keyboard and not just new keys.  I would have accepted their offer.  It is possible they would have sent a keyboard that was made using improved processes to secure the lettering labels.

Anyhow, I still have not installed the keyboard they sent me two years ago.  I am keeping it in reserve.

You can buy a metallic ink Sharpie permanent marker in silver, bronze, or copper with a fine tip.  Clean the damaged keys with an alcohol prep pad. Then re label the keys with the Sharpie.  Lastly cut clear packing tape in small squares to cover the lettering you laid down with the sharpie.  It will last a long time.

Kind regards,

Top Student
Francisca57
Message 18 of 22 (95 Views)

SteveRock wrote:

They probably would have sent you a new keyboard and not just new keys.  I would have accepted their offer.  It is possible they would have sent a keyboard that was made using improved processes to secure the lettering labels.

Anyhow, I still have not installed the keyboard they sent me two years ago.  I am keeping it in reserve.

You can buy a metallic ink Sharpie permanent marker in silver, bronze, or copper with a fine tip.  Clean the damaged keys with an alcohol prep pad. Then re label the keys with the Sharpie.  Lastly cut clear packing tape in small squares to cover the lettering you laid down with the sharpie.  It will last a long time.

Kind regards,

Thanks Steve but I know that sometimes they just replace the keys and that won't do because they will be made of the same material and will wear off again. The lady didn't even try to tell me that they would be better than the ones I already have. As far as fixing an almost new laptop with a pen and tape.... sorry but that is not a solution I am willing to try. I can't imagine that a key covered with tape will be as easy to type on as a normal one. It will feel funny under the fingers, I would say....... They need to start taking responsibility for the mistakes they make. This problem has existed for years! I have contacted Tranding Standards by e-mail. The Citizens Advice Bureau seems to use an expensive phone number and there is no way to contact them by e-mail.

Top Student
Linkbeater
Message 19 of 22 (74 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem with my HP Pavilion system. I have used numerous PCs over the past 30 years,

and never had this problem with all different brands including my previous HP.

Mine was replaced under the warranty but it simply repeated. This is a maufacturing QC problem,

and I think it won't even cost a penny more to get it right.

Now I'm in the market to buy another PC fairly soon, and I'm quite hesitant to get an HP.

What a shame!

The part nunber is 539130-001.

Top Student
Francisca57
Message 20 of 22 (64 Views)

Hi Linkbeater, it is really miserable that years after people started to have problems they still sell laptops with the same bad quality keyboards. I am baffled that they replaced yours because they told me that the keyboard is not under warranty as they told me that even if the laptop was only a couple of months old this is part of wear and tear. But as I said in my post my husband has another Pavillion model bought in Switzerland over two years ago and it is still perfect but the overal quality look a lot better than mine bought in France. I have pretty much given up as they told me that I would need legal help but the organization they sent me to never answered my e-mail. Now I will wait till I buy another laptop and I now the HP never again!!!!! Bad quality and bad client service for a high price! No thanks! As far as paying a lawyer in order to solve this problem... they must be joking!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation