Question

Top Student
Aquaman802
Message 1 of 22 (1,536 Views)

Keyboard Lettering Wearing Off on Pavilion dv7

Approximately 2 months ago I bought an HP Pavilion dv7.  The letter on the keyboard is starting to wear off.  I have 3 other machines I currently use and I have never had a problem with the keys wearing off on a keyboard.  The keys themselves work fine.

After calling HP support several times and getting the usual run around, they are telling me it is my problem.

Does anyone know where I can buy the lettering? 

This will be the last HP I buy and I will tell everyone I know that buys computers never to buy HP.  HP should fix this problem instead of pushing the blame back on me and not supporting their product.

Any insight on where to get replacement lettering is appreciated.

Thanks!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 22 (1,522 Views)

Re: Keyboard Lettering Wearing Off on Pavilion dv7

There is no replacement lettering you would have to get a new keyboard. They are fairly easy to install and not too expensive.

This is a bronze color one on ebay for $18 shipped:

Keyboard

ebay has every color you could want

Top Student
Aquaman802
Message 3 of 22 (1,507 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I have a dv7 - 6000.  I noticed there are keyboards for all the different versions and the 6000 keyboards are harder to find.  Will any dv7 keyboard work or does it have to be one for the dv7 - 6000?

I appreciate the help.  I will replace it, but it is still a bad keyboard from HP.

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 22 (1,502 Views)

According to the Service Manual:

Manual

There is one keyboard for all dv7s. There is a different one noted for Intel processors only. Remove your keyboard and check the part number, on the back, against this list and you can do an advanced eBay search for just your part number to be sure you are getting an exact replacement. Usually, keyboards stay the same on a model line even as submodels are issued. I would believe you can use a keyboard from a dv7-3000, for example.

Top Student
Aquaman802
Message 5 of 22 (1,493 Views)

Thank you very much!

Honor Student
amydawn74
Message 6 of 22 (1,314 Views)

[ Edited ]

I fail to understand why this is the consumer's fault when the lettering starts wearing off within the first month of purchase.  The first couple happened within 2 weeks, and now I'm up to 3 full missing letters and 10 partials.  I have NEVER had this happen to a computer before.  My last laptop was 6 years old and nothing like this happened.  It sounds like poor quality on HP's part, and this is not the first (nor I'm sure the last) complaint I've seen about this.  All I had to do was google "lettering wearing off on HP laptop" and I got pages upon pages of results.  I certainly didn't spend $1000 on a computer to get a piece of junk that would fall apart before I'd had it a month.  I had IT friends warn me against buying an HP, but other friends sung praises about you, so I bought it - guess I should have listened to the computer geeks that knew what they were talking about.  

Provost
Huffer
Message 7 of 22 (1,292 Views)

If the lettering wears off in less than a year I would think the warranty would cover it and HP would replace the keyboard.

Tutor
bw00ds
Message 8 of 22 (1,203 Views)

If anyone reads this thread, contrary to the advice given above, "like" computers DO NOT interchange parts. You MUST get the correct part number for your specific model. The parts for my dv7, for example, are found in this document: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278.pdf

You can go to HP's Parts website, search for your laptop, and find your parts.

I, too, had the same problem of the letters wearing off on my dv7 as well as my HDX before this. On the HDX, they replaced the keyboard. On this dv7, they will not. Go figure. But eBay has reputable sellers of OEM parts and I got a replacement keyboard for $22 incl. shipping. The keyboard of my particular model, the dv7-6000 CTO Quadcore is really easy to replace. Some are more extensive, but not that bad. You can do a search on the internet and find tutorials or go online to HP's site and find your Repair Manual PDF.

Tutor
SteveRock
Message 9 of 22 (1,168 Views)

I also have a dv7 and the keyboard lettering started wearing off in only 2 to 3 months.  It is worn completely away on the keys I use most.  I had an older HP Pavilion for 8 years and the keyboard still looks brand new, so it has nothing to do with me, the environment etc - it is completely due to deficient deign and manufacturing processes.  It is very disappointing as I have very high standards and expect much more from HP.

In my case, HP sent me a replacement keyboard for free and assured me I would not have the problem.  That was 9 months ago and I have not replaced it yet, because I expect it will start to wear right away too and no need to rush that...

Dear HP: when things like this happen, it *greatly* influences my purchases of enterprise virtualizartion hardware, software and storage.  I have been a great fan of your enterprise gear for years, but it is hard to look past (literally) this problem on my laptop.  Along with the fact you gave me no break key, no num lock light, and no HDD activity indicator in view, I have decided you have completely given up on even trying to compete with laptops made by Lenovo or Dell.

Tutor
bw00ds
Message 10 of 22 (1,166 Views)

***UPDATE***

I called HP again and was insistent that the wear on the lettering of my keyboard was unacceptable. The tech checked with his supervisor and decided to replace it under warranty. Thank you, HP. It would be better if they just spent a little extra and improved their manufacturing process to avoid this problem completely.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation