Question

Honor Student
adriangoh
Message 1 of 2 (1,838 Views)

Keyboard for Laptop not working (Hp Pavilion dv7-4087cl)

Hi all,

My trusty dv7-4087cl's keyboard recently stopped working, and I was wondering if anyone could help with suggestions as to what the problem is.  Using an external (USB) keyboard works, but none of the keys on the PS/2 keyboard work. One of my cats got some thick sauce onto the keyboard one night, and I found it the next morning, and the keyboard didn't work anymore.

To date, I've tried (none of this has worked):

(1) Hard reboot - taking out the battery, unplugging the power cord, holding power button down for 20s, putting battery in, starting it up again.

(2) Updating the BIOS - I had needed to get this done anyway

(3) Replacing the keyboard - There wasn't any sign of any of the aforementioned sauce anywhere but on the old keyboard

Thanks in advance for any ideas - I'm worried that it's the motherboard

Honor Student
adriangoh
Message 2 of 2 (1,825 Views)

Re: Keyboard for Laptop not working (Hp Pavilion dv7-4087cl)

I've also tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers.

I'm noticing that the mute (f11) and WLAN (f12) keys on the new keyboard is lighting up red on startup, but then the mute (f11) key turns off and the WLAN (f12) key lights up white after Windows (windows 7, 64-bit) has finished starting up.

External (USB) keyboards work, and the touchpad still works (although I usually use a USB mouse).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation