Question

Student
Zecknaal
Message 1 of 15 (23,795 Views)

Keyboard layout changed

Recently I downgraded my HP Pavillion dv6000 series from Vista to XP. However, since the change, I have noticed some odd quirks about my keyboard layout. Most vital keys are the same, but many symbols have been altered. " and @ symbols have been switched. My # turned into £. Backslash is now ~, and tilde is now ¬. Any suggestions?
Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 15 (23,774 Views)

Re: Keyboard layout changed

what region and locale did you set it to?
======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Student
MacCon_COO
Message 3 of 15 (23,740 Views)

I have no idea why it happened, but i have experienced the same issue with my NEW out of box HP HDX x18 running Vista.  very hard to send out email with no @ symbol.  Seems to only effect Microsoft programs at this point.  I have my keyboard properties set to US layout.

On my actual keyboard, those extra symbols are identified as 2 to a key in a blue color (whereas normal qwerty keyboard is in black).  It sems to me that for some reason the system has changed the preference for some programs  to use the "blue lettered keys" instead of the normal qwerty keys.  Normal typing only produces 1 of the "blue letters" per key whereas if you use the right ALT key and press a "blue letter" key, then you can input the 2nd blue character.

This obviously doesnt fix the lack of qwerty function, but hopefully helps you use the "blue letter" keys productively.

Does anyone else know how to fix this issue?  So that the normal QWERTY keyboard operates as the primary keyboard?

Student
LeslieL
Message 4 of 15 (23,352 Views)

I bought a Pavilion Entertainment PC laptop at BestBuy in Calgary for a ridiculously low price and discovered it was set up for French Canadian users. A little surprising at first, but not hard to change in either Windows or Linux - just change the keyboard layout to US English in whichever way your operating system allows you to. I know Ubuntu best, but managed to figure it out in Vista without too much trouble. It's an operating system problem, not an HP one (although it was strange that the machine was set up to operate in French in the most Anglo part of Canada).

What I want to know is how to access the blue characters on the keyboard. I get some of them if I switch back to the Canadian layout, but in some cases there are three characters available, and I get only two using the shift key. Which other key do I use to get the third?

Honor Student
whitealleycat
Message 5 of 15 (23,312 Views)

I am having the same problem.  Have you got an answer yet?
Honor Student
whitealleycat
Message 6 of 15 (23,310 Views)

Ok, I am getting somewhere - use the keyboard symbol that is either on the lower task bar or up at the top.  Change it to French Canadian and you can use the other symbols with the shift key.  Change back to US (Canadian) to change back.  To get some of the other symbols change to French mode and use CTRL+ALT+ the key with the symbol.  Some do not work, like 1/4 works but not 1/2 and 1/3.  The British Pound symbol also does not work, but I would guess that it would work if you added the UK keyboard layout.  Regardless it is not a big deal, but HP should have a users guide on it.

You can also use Left ALT+Shift to switch languages.

Good luck - try it out - so far it works.

Student
IMRAN778899
Message 7 of 15 (12,657 Views)

Dear Zecknaal,

I was also facing the same.

Solution: See lowe right corner of the screen of your laptop.

These is Time, Speaker, Network, Battery Symbols and then 'EN'.

Click on 'EN'.

Then click on 'Enlish (United States).

That's all :-)

Student
anangrypanda
Message 8 of 15 (10,376 Views)

Hi, I have an HP DV6-6C40CA, i am setting it up and he keybaord was fine at first, but now its wierd, numbers appear when i press letters, and letters are mixed around plz help

Student
tallpants
Message 9 of 15 (9,172 Views)

I have a HP Pavilion g series laptop (2011 model). Does anyone know how to switch the layout so the fn keys (F1-F12) are given priority without manually clicking "fn"? Currently, the default are the display settings; and it's driving me crazy.

Honor Student
carolbt
Message 10 of 15 (6,364 Views)

I am living in France and using an HP Pavilion dv6 with an azerty keyboard, and for some reason when typing into Microsoft documents I can't access the lower symbols on the figure keys (i.e. 1-0), these being ~ # [ | ` \ ^ @ ] } .  

This happened all of a sudden, as I was trying to type a web address into a Word document. Help!!!

I'd guess that this is something like the problems you are discussing here, but this isn't to do with changing the keyboard language or layout - I have the keyboard on the French layout for convenience (at least that matches the actual notation on the keys!). Any advice most gratefully received.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation