Keyboard on new laptop not working properly (2391 Views)
Student
juicebox07
Message 1 of 7 (2,391 Views)

Keyboard on new laptop not working properly

I just bought an HP Pavilion g6-1b39wm laptop a week and a half ago. It worked fine until yesterday when the keyboard started malfunctioning. Most of the keys work okay, but there are a select few that aren't doing what they are supposed to.     

The P key does not work properly. When I press it, it backspaces before putting the character in. Therefore, it puts the P before the last character typed instead of after. The only way I can type normally is to hit the space bar before typing in the letter P, otherwise the letter will go in the wrong  place & my words will look jumbled. Example if I type the word laptop without pressing the space bar before the letter P then the word would appear like lptpoa.

Other problems is that the dash key and colon key do not work at all. If I hit the insert key, it puts in an apostrophe. If I hit the delete key, it puts in an equal sign. If I hit the left arrow key, it types a P, and if I hit the right arrow key, it types a zero.

I'm just wondering if there is a fix for this, or if my new laptop is defective and I will have to try to return or exchange it. Thanks.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 7 (2,359 Views)

Re: Keyboard on new laptop not working properly

It's a new laptop, return it or exchange it. There is nothing to change the keyboard with or at least to correct the problem you're having. There are bilingual keyboards with different symbols on them where you can change the default language setting, but it doesn't sound like this is the case here.

I would say the keyboard itself has failed already or the motherboard.

Top Student
gsaidler
Message 3 of 7 (2,353 Views)

Hey I have a similar problem only with other keys, its the whole column where they keys 9,0; O, P; L,; and so on... It seems like a short circuit between these two columns since whenver I press either of them the other is typed simultaneously. Could this really be a problem with the motherboard?? If so in what way?

I already ordered a new keyboard, will post the results as soon as it arrives.

Top Student
gsaidler
Message 4 of 7 (2,348 Views)

Ok problem solved:

bought a new keyboard and now it works properly.

I will use a multimeter on the old keyboard to see if i can spot any short-circuit, I think thats what happened to it.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 7 (2,339 Views)

@ everyone

When you have strange symptoms like this involving the keyboard, it's usually the keyboard or the ribbon cable is not inserted correctly into the ZIF connector.

Laptop keyboard are very cheaply made.

Student
ajogwuj
Message 6 of 7 (1,573 Views)

i bought my hp notebook, about four months ago,but about a month ago,i noticed that key,P. stops working,then later starts working..Pls what should i do..?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 7 of 7 (1,565 Views)

i bought my hp notebook, about four months ago,but about a month ago,i noticed that key,P. stops working,then later starts working..Pls what should i do..?

The problem started happening with in the warrantee, contact HP for a service call. Do not try to fix it yourself by disassembling your machine, you will void the warrantee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation