Question

Honor Student
SeaBee101
Message 1 of 9 (8,700 Views)
Accepted Solution

Keyboard problem on Compaq Presario CQ60

My daughter has a CQ60 notepad that was working fine this morning but this afternoon the Q W E R U I O and P keys have stopped responding. As far as I have been able to check, all other keys are unaffected. Any suggestions would be gratly appreciated.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 9 (8,679 Views)

Re: Keyboard problem on Compaq Presario CQ60

Time for a new key board, they are all made in China and the build quality of most of them are not great. There are no drivers to reinstall to get it to work.

What is you full model number and I can help you with a new replacement and how to remove and install the new one ?

eg. CQ60-144us

Honor Student
SeaBee101
Message 3 of 9 (8,674 Views)

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling that might be the problem. The model number is CQ60-212EM.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 9 (8,665 Views)

[ Edited ]

Before I/we assume the keyboard is bad you should reinstall the driver, this never seems to work, but we should give it a shot anyway. Go to the Control Panel and find the Device Manager. Click on that and find "KeyBoard" in that list, click on the small arrow to expand it. Right click on the keyboard and choose to uninstall the driver, ignore the warning and continue. You will be prompted to restart the computer and upon boot up it will automatically reinstall the driver.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are a few from ebay.co.uk.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=CQ60-212EM+keyboard&_sacat=...

They're kind of pricey, I think you would be better off getting one from the US who is willing to ship over seas, some ship from Hong Kong (probably where they're made).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Keyboard-HP-COMPAQ-Presario-CQ60-Series-496771-001-US-Layout-Black-/2006...

Here is where I got that from.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=CQ60+keyboard&_sacat=0&_odkw=CQ60-212EM+keyboard&_osacat=0&_trks...

Here is your service manual and some videos from the HP Media Services Library.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02985882.pdf  Look on page 4-18 and a bit beyond. Be very careful when you remove the cable from the ZIF connector on the motherboard, if you break it  condemns the whole motherboard.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/default.htm?lang=en&cc=US&hpappid=psml  If you have trouble navigating to your model and the videos, post again and I will give you some instructions. Give the video page time too load. Yours is very easy to remove, there are 3 screws marked with a keyboard symbol inside the battery bay that hold it in place and it just lifts out starting at the back nearest the screen.

CQ 60.PNG

Ounce you get to the video page, navigate to keyboard in the left column.

Note that it does not list the CQ60 200 series,but the 100 series is the same.

You can also order the keyboard from HP ounce you know the part number, it will be on the back of the keyboard ending in

-001.  You will pay premium for it through HP and you may not be able to order the parts anyway, I have discovered that this is only available in the US, maybe it's different in the UK.

Intern
DJ_Fixalot
Message 5 of 9 (8,652 Views)

In my experience that problem would be the keyboard itself.  Maybe a 1% chance that it could be the keyboard controller on the motherboard.  I recommend this seller, they ship overseas.

Compaq CQ60 Keyboard

As for installing it, its not very hard on this model, but they have a general guide for HP laptops to point you in the right direction.

Installing HP Keyboard

Honor Student
SeaBee101
Message 6 of 9 (8,646 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a problem in that my daughter password protected the administrator account, no bad thing when you're out and about with your laptop, but a royal pain if half the letters you need don't work. I can't do anything to the driver without entering the password, so I'm just going to get a new keyboard and hope that fixes it.

As usual the UK prices are way more than the US but that's normal for rip off Britain. I've looked online and there is a place in Swansea selling reconditioned keyboards for half the cost of a new one. They come with a guarantee so I might give them a go.

Thanks for all your help, be sure I'll be back if I get stuck.

Student
Cowpoke72
Message 7 of 9 (7,923 Views)

I have a similar problem with my CQ60 and a short term solution until I replace the keyboard is to turn on the accessibility feature for the on screen keyboard.  This is available at sign on in Windows 7 by clicking a small icon in the lower left corner of the sign-on screen.  You may end up with the narrator turned on as well and that can be distracting but it can be turn off leaving the on screen keyboard available.

I don't see the same feature available in Windows XP.

Student
rolly01373
Message 8 of 9 (3,898 Views)

hi my keybaord has stopped working on my cq60 15.6 inch screen laptop . and my battory dose not charge no more its got to be on charge all time for it to work if u could pls get bk to me about it pls ?

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 9 of 9 (3,853 Views)

rolly01373 wrote:

hi my keybaord has stopped working on my cq60 15.6 inch screen laptop . and my battory dose not charge no more its got to be on charge all time for it to work if u could pls get bk to me about it pls ?

Hello rolly01373.

Does the keyboard work at all or are certain keys just broken?

What is your product number?  This document can show you where it is located.

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation