Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all !

I have been redirected to the support forums by an HP sales representative, who couldnt inform me...

Here's the thing:

I will buy a new laptop in the US HP online store. I asked the sales representatives if i can have the option to replace the US keyboard layout for a Portuguese keyboard layout. The answer was NO, because the HP is an US online store, and has such, it only sells products do the US market (obviously with a US keyboard), and they advised me to shop in Portugal...

Well, the problem is that I will use the computer in the US, which has different electrical plugs and different AC voltages. So, buying the laptop in Portugal makes no sense to me...

What i need is a US laptop with a Portuguese keyboard. How hard can it be, right ?? Wrong! It turns out that this simple change will be hard and maybe impossible to get. At least through the online store...

It seams that my only option is to buy the portuguese keyboard separately and install it myself. Having said that, my question is simple:

Will the replacement of the keyboard on a new laptop void the entire laptop warranty ??

If yes, what options do i have ??

Thank You All.

Regards,

JPN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Why can't you buy the PC in Portugal and order a US power cord that goes from the outlet to the power supply?

The power supplies are all the same no matter where you live.

Check the service manual for the specific notebook you want and order the US power cord.

Confirm what I have stated is correct before you order (look at the service manual).

I don't know of any notebooks where you have to buy a different power supply.

If you don't know where to find that info, please provide the full model number of the PC you wish to purchase.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Why can't you buy the PC in Portugal and order a US power cord that goes from the outlet to the power supply?

The power supplies are all the same no matter where you live.

Check the service manual for the specific notebook you want and order the US power cord.

Confirm what I have stated is correct before you order (look at the service manual).

I don't know of any notebooks where you have to buy a different power supply.

If you don't know where to find that info, please provide the full model number of the PC you wish to purchase.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul and thanks for your answer.

Yes, that can be an option, but it raises another question. What about the warranty ? If i buy the laptop in Portugal, can i still use use the warranty services in US (i hope i don't need them though) ?

Also, the prices are significantly lower in US...

Regards,

JPN

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since I don't work for HP, I don't know how the warranty works.

All I can say is that I have seen a lot of posts where the forum member is using a PC in a different country than they purchased it in and have trouble getting warranty support.

Now, here is the rub as I see it...

This clause here...

What is covered by HP Global Warranty

HP Global Warranty covers HP products at the level of standard warranty offered in the country in which it is used. For example, a product purchased in country "A" and moved to country "B" receives the current warranty coverage provided by country "B" (if that product is marketed or supported in country B).

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpr01266

Unless the model you bought is also sold/supported in the USA, then I think you may have a problem.

On the flip side, if you buy the PC here you would need to read the service manual to see if replacing the keyboard is a DIY task or if it has to be done by an authorized service center.

That could cost you a lot of $$$ if the task is not a DIY task.

If it were me, I would take my chances that the notebook will last a year without needing warranty support, buy it in Portugal and get a USA power cord.

Unless of course a similar model in the USA is way cheaper.

You are going to have to decide what you want to do on your own.  I don't think anyone can make that decision for you.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information Paul.

Well, i don't have any problem with changing the keyboard myself. I'm used to open laptops to change parts.

The question is if opening the laptop (if needed) to change the keyboard will void the warranty... I'm guessing it will, but i would like to have confirmation from HP.

I will prefer to buy the laptop in US since the price is 200$ 300$ less for the same or equivalent model.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

JPN

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

No one can tell you that, unless you provide the specific model notebook you plan on buying.

On these new models, the service manual states what parts are DIY (do it yourself) projects, and what parts are authorized service center projects.

DIY projects won't void the warranty.

Persons replacing parts not done by an authorized service center will void the warranty.

HP Recommended

Well, after much thinking on the subject 🙂 , i decided to buy the laptop in Portugal, despite the higher price, and then purchase a US power cable.

I bought the Envy 15-j100np .

I just hope i don't have any issues with this laptop, because i'm guessing it will be dificult to obtain service under warranty in the US...

Thanks Paul for your comments.

Regards,

JPN

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since I live in the USA, I can tell you that they sell a similar model here (15t-j100).

Whether or not the np makes a difference in the warranty support, that I do not know.

Let's hope you don't have to find out.   :generic:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.