Question

Honor Student
AshishGeorge
Message 1 of 41 (59,809 Views)

Laptop Overheating

Hi,

I am running an HP Pavilion dv2401 with Windows Vista and 1GB of RAM.

I've noticed that the laptop has started heating up and the problem has been worsening to the point where I was constantly shutting down to prevent overheating and damaging the internal components. I am not exaggerating when I say, the bottom of the laptop is boiling hot.

But nothing seems to work. The bottom of the laptop is so hot that I cant sit my hands on it if I want to type.

Hope that somebody helps, and please post a comment if you had a similar problem and power options resolved the issue.

Regards,

AG

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 41 (59,805 Views)

Re: Laptop Overheating

[ Edited ]

Pick up a can of compressed air and clean all of the external ports and vents.A notebook cooling pad with fan/fans would also help, I use one 99% of the time with my dv2810us.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Master's Graduate
bwolper
Message 3 of 41 (59,781 Views)

Also check to make sure all of your fans are funning.  If not, you may need to replace a fan.  As mentioned before, a laptop cooling pad with its own fans should be quite helpful.

In this forum, clicking on Kudos is a great way of saying thanks.  :smileywink:

Intern
Tomek_
Message 4 of 41 (59,778 Views)

there is no warn about fan runing failure in hp laptops ? i know IBM T21 hade it... (its question to everyone)

if its that hot u can change power plan, click on battery near clock and select ballance or power saver

chceck what notebook doing, turn on "task manager" , processes (sort by CPU and memory) and performance will show u

to turn it on press alt+ctrl+del then task manager 

u have also turn off some soft runing and using memory and CPU 

--------------------------------
sorry for my poor english :smileywink:
Hp Pavilion dv6408nr - Vista
external HDD - ubuntu
Honor Student
Malibu1123
Message 5 of 41 (59,744 Views)

Is your laptop still under warranty?  I own a tx1410us tablet that I spent a LOT of money on and just after the warranty expired, mine started to experience the same over heating that you describe.  I troubleshooted the computer according to its model number and as HP suggests, I upgraded the BIOS and used compressed air to blow out any dust. A word to the wise....contact HP now. This is a known problem. My motherboard fried a few days ago and I was told by the experts that this is a known issue and that it is not even worth fixing because it is a MAJOR harware flaw and it will only just happen again. Good luck, you're going to need it!
Intern
Tomek_
Message 6 of 41 (59,702 Views)

MB was fried?  :smileyindifferent:

but only same model of MB ? how about other MB in HP's ?

--------------------------------
sorry for my poor english :smileywink:
Hp Pavilion dv6408nr - Vista
external HDD - ubuntu
Honor Student
AshishGeorge
Message 7 of 41 (59,660 Views)

Hi,

I tried cleaning my laptop with my home vaccum cleaner. Well It WORKED. Now it does not heat up that much. Thankx Everybody for your help. :smileyhappy:

Student
mengke
Message 8 of 41 (58,941 Views)

If you want to solve this problem of laptop is over heating, I suggestion you to find some ides from  http://www.adapterlist.com/hp/ .which is a replacement laptop battery export website.it content some technology of how to matain your laptop and some commom problem customer usually meet.I believe it,s very useful to you.
Student
cool_johncj
Message 9 of 41 (56,317 Views)

Hello All,

I bought Pavillion Dv4000 series laptop 4 years ago and now whenever I open any website with high graphics contain or watch a video then my laptop's fan start making lot of sound and it just shutdown.

I have upgraded my Bios, Flash player but does not help.

As far as cleaning of fan is concerned , I did usin g vaccume cleaner but it did not help. Now I am thinking to open a laptop and clean it as somebody told me that HP laptop generally have 2 fan 1 below keyboard and other which is visible from out side.

1. Is it too difficult to open a laptop and clean it up ? I have never opened any laptop.

2. Which screw driver I should buy from market ? Any specification for that and generally which kind of shop keeps it ?

3. Will compressed air will help in cleaning of air ducts  and how to use it ( any website with information)?

Thanks.

Honor Student
dv9000
Message 10 of 41 (53,787 Views)

I have just had an overheating issue with a dv9000 series, I have tried cleaning out the fan with compressed air, however I suspect the video chip is fried. Looking at youtube this seems to be a known product fault due to the inadequate cooling and heat sink design of the machine. On youtube I saw a modification, claimed to reduce the temperature by 10 degrees  (probably F).

Does anyone know if HP is giving help due to this design fault ? or if there is a modification to overcome this problem.   Is it actually worth getting fixed?   I have to say i am not impressed with HP`s customer service if  this is a known fault as there seems to be no mention of it on any of their sites. Any suggestion welcome.

I have been a loyal HP customer, however I suspect i may buy elsewhere in future should i not be able to get this repaired cheaply and permanently

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation