Question

Tutor
HyperChu
Message 1 of 2 (205 Views)

Laptop Repaired, With A Side of Negligence & Nonsense(Follow-up to HP ENVY dv7-7250us Casing Damage)

[ Edited ]

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/HP-Envy-dv7-7250us-Casing-Damage/m-p/3270715

The link above explains the issue I originally had with the PC.  Aside from that though, I requested they also repair the headphone port, as it became horribly loose.

My customer support experience was surprisingly easy compared to experiences with other companies.  Everything was said and done in less than an hour, and I sent out the PC 2 days later.  I recieved my PC 16 days later.  When I opened the laptop, I had found that the repair was a success, the chassis even felt more solid than when I first got the computer, and the headphone port felt very stable and firm.

But the positives stop there.  I found that there was a small, yet highly-noticeable permanent scratch on the screen.  Couldn't have been just a little more careful with it?  I'm certain this kind of scratch definitely can't be caused during the shipping process.  Something really sharp had contact with the screen.  But that issue really didn't bother me too bad.  The slight disappointment turned to mind-boggling anger and frustration when I turned the PC on.  I had found that the BIOS had been tampered with, with the message "Manufacture Programming Mode is in Unlock Mode" appearing before the company logo appears, my sign-in info was deleted, and Windows was no longer activated...  This was a STRICTLY PHYSICAL REPAIR! Absolutely no issues involving software whatsoever.  Why did he/she access my PC, install support solutions software on my PC and run diagnostics when I included a written note stating that "There are no software issues I wish to have resolved.  This is simply housing repair. I request that the PC not be powered on or operated", placed in the box with the PC.

I suspect that the changes in software are responsible for the failure of Windows Update.  Upon Windows Update restarting my PC, there was no longer any display output after leaving the BIOS and booting Windows 8, essentially rendering my PC unusable.  Not to mention, my CD/DVD drive stopped functioning following the update as well...  The display and CD/DVD drive still operate when booting into Linux via USB, but they both turn off when booting into Windows 8.

So, in repairing the housing and replacing the headphone port, my screen gets badly scratched, my PC was accessed when I requested against it, my sign-in info was removed, there's unwanted support solutions software on my PC, there's a message before the BIOS that I haven't seen before, and thanks to an issue involving Windows Update, my PC is unusable...

I'm planning to send it in again ASAP.  Life's been hard without my HP Envy dv7-7250us.  My secondary PC, an HP Envy X2-g010nr laptop/tablet detachable, is easily overloaded by the daily strain of being used as a primary computer, and it can't handle any of the 3D steam games I play on the dv7.

Retired
OrnahP
Message 2 of 2 (196 Views)

Re: Laptop Repaired, With A Side of Negligence & Nonsense(Follow-up to HP ENVY dv7-7250us Casing

I have forwarded your post to the right people for their review. You should hear back from someone shortly via Private Message on this forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OrnahP
HP Support Forums Moderator

:smileyhappy: Clicking the "Kudos Star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!
:smileyhappy: When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking "Accept as Solution" to help other members in the future!
Rules of Participation

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation