Question

Student
StaceyR
Message 1 of 15 (124,366 Views)

Laptop Touchpad not working

I have a HP G50-113CA Notebook PC.  When I opened it today,  the touchpad did not work.  It does nothing and not even the buttons on it work.  I tried doing a system restore but it did not do anything.  An external mouse does work. 

When I open the mouse properties window, the device settings window for the touchpad shows up but there are no actual devices listed there. I tried reinstalling the synaptics driver but it didn't do anything.

I'm lost.  Please help a poor student who needs her computer.

Teacher
ksnr2006
Message 2 of 15 (124,353 Views)

Re: Laptop Touchpad not working

Inorder to fix the Touchpad issue, try the hard reset steps:

Sometimes it is necessary to do a hard reset to erase all of the information in the temporary memory and regain functionality of your PC when it stops responding. For example, doing a hard reset is helpful if your keyboard quits responding, you cannot get your PC to come out of hibernation or sleep mode, or if a software program causes the PC to freeze.

The hard reset will not delete saved files on the hard drive.

Hard Reset Procedure:

1. Disconnect the AC Adapter.
2. Remove the Battery pack.
3. Hold the Power button down for 2 minutes.
4. Reconnect the AC adapter and Battery.
5. Turn on the Notebook power.

Also make sure that touchpad button is On. It will be just above the touchpad area where you can see the white led which shows that touchpad is on. If the led is in orange, touchpad is off.

If these steps does not work, update the BIOS version from HP website .

In rare case if the issue still persists, you need to restore the notebook to factory settings using Recovery Manager or recovery discs.

Before performing recovery, you need to backup all your data to external hard drive because it will erase the data from the hard drive:

Vista F11 procedure:

1. Reboot the notebook PC.

2. Press F11 when the HP logo displays.

3. When the Recovery Manager appears, click Next .

4. When prompted to use the Microsoft System Restore program, select No and click Next .

5. When prompted to use the System Recovery, select Yes and click Next .

6. Select the option to perform the recovery without backing up files and click Next .

The recovery process will return your PC to the factory image.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Intern
AeSix
Message 3 of 15 (124,315 Views)

ksnr2006 wrote:

Inorder to fix the Touchpad issue, try the hard reset steps:

Sometimes it is necessary to do a hard reset to erase all of the information in the temporary memory and regain functionality of your PC when it stops responding. For example, doing a hard reset is helpful if your keyboard quits responding, you cannot get your PC to come out of hibernation or sleep mode, or if a software program causes the PC to freeze.

The hard reset will not delete saved files on the hard drive.

Hard Reset Procedure:

1. Disconnect the AC Adapter.
2. Remove the Battery pack.
3. Hold the Power button down for 2 minutes.
4. Reconnect the AC adapter and Battery.
5. Turn on the Notebook power.

Also make sure that touchpad button is On. It will be just above the touchpad area where you can see the white led which shows that touchpad is on. If the led is in orange, touchpad is off.

If these steps does not work, update the BIOS version from HP website .

In rare case if the issue still persists, you need to restore the notebook to factory settings using Recovery Manager or recovery discs.

Before performing recovery, you need to backup all your data to external hard drive because it will erase the data from the hard drive:

Vista F11 procedure:

1. Reboot the notebook PC.

2. Press F11 when the HP logo displays.

3. When the Recovery Manager appears, click Next .

4. When prompted to use the Microsoft System Restore program, select No and click Next .

5. When prompted to use the System Recovery, select Yes and click Next .

6. Select the option to perform the recovery without backing up files and click Next .

The recovery process will return your PC to the factory image.

The Only thing I have to add to that, before you go reinstalling to factory recovery, You should have someone look at it. Touchpads are connected to the motherboard with a thin ribben cable. They are attached to the motherboard usually with a clamping connector, but they can still come loose. If they are too loose or have become disconnected, the touchpad (same for keyboards) will simply not work.

When I was working as head tech in my shop, we would have simple problems like this come in. If we charged the person anything, it would maybe $10 because of the quickness to fix it. They would usually come back again after that too for more work, repeting customers are bring in more money than one time deals :smileytongue:
My point, take it to a local shop, suggest the problem (as mentioned above) and see if they'll fix it. Be nice, that goes a long ways with techs.

Hope this helps!
AeSix

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 4 of 15 (124,266 Views)

Have you tried viewing the Touchpad in the Device Manager? Is there a yellow exclamation point next to the Touchpad device?

Student
ivanjedreyes123
Message 5 of 15 (104,029 Views)

My mouse isn't working so I can't click.  I've hit every key in the keyboard and it seems like only the space bar work when i went to F11 method. 

Honor Student
ramesh7242
Message 6 of 15 (48,093 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Even my laptop touchpad is not working, i cannot able to perform double click, where i can do remaining things for my

HP EliteBook 8440p laptop. 

here is the solution:-

I installed synaptics touchpad v7.2 software from HP'S website.

Enable Tapping checkbox in mouse properties>device settings>synaptics touchpad properties --and save changes

and click on apply

touchpad not working 

Regards

Ramesh Thirumalapudi

Student
erna111
Message 7 of 15 (31,500 Views)

my touchpad was somehow disenabled how do i enable it again/

Honor Student
ramesh7242
Message 8 of 15 (31,320 Views)

touchpad.PNG

Student
hamid1221
Message 9 of 15 (30,207 Views)

I tried to turn off everything ( power supply & battery taken out) and it worked.

Thank you very much

Student
DocJohn64
Message 10 of 15 (24,086 Views)

I had the same issue with a HP laptop, and the hard reset completely fixed the problem for me too.  Thanks for the advice here, folks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation