Question

Honor Student
BigInJapan
Message 1 of 8 (4,991 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laptop battery not charging?

I am using a HP b4p41pa with Microsoft windows 7 home 64bit

The problem I am having is that I noticed I hadn't used the charge cable for a while so I checked my percentage left to find I had 86% with the computer reporting I had 116 hours and 32mins left. Obviously that couldnt be right so I put the charger in and after 10minutes or so checked the number again, still 86%.

I took the charger out and it still said 86%. All the way until it powered off with no charge at all. I put the charger back in and left to get lunch. Since then, charger in for 30minutes or charger out for 4-5minutes it says that I have 5% left and that its about to turn off.

In all honesty I don't know if it is the battery, charger  or if the computer is falsely reporting the charge amount since I used it for those 4-5minutes without it shutting off.

I ridiculed my wife for buying a Toshiba that gave her problems after 2 months but I have had this HP for the grand total of 4 days. It cant be having these problems already surely?

Thanks for any help in advance and hopefully I have provided enough information.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (4,986 Views)

Re: Laptop battery not charging?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Go into the Device Manager. (type device manager in the search all programs and files box and press enter)

Click on the triangle next to the Batteries device to expand it.

Right-click on the devices that are revealed. One at a time, select uninstall for each of the following devices.  (Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method  Battery)

Once you have uninstalled them, then right click any device and select scan for hardware changes.

The Windows 7 operating system will reinstall fresh copies of the devices you just uninstalled. 

Restart your notebook and check to see how charging is going.

Now open the HP Support Assistant --> Troubleshoot --> Power, Thermal and Mechanical. In the Power tab click on Battery check..  If you do not get a pass or OK on the battery check, then contact HP Total Care for warranty service

Please post your positive or negative results here. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
BigInJapan
Message 3 of 8 (4,976 Views)

Thank you for your help.

I followed the instructions step by step and the HP assistance tells me the battery is OK

Honor Student
BigInJapan
Message 4 of 8 (4,971 Views)

Apologises, while the charge did stay on 5% for upto 10minutes it now appears to be charging again. So far it has reached 29%. I am hoping it was your solution that fixed it otherwise I have no idea why it happened to begin with and if it is a serious problem where I should bring it back to the shop or not.

Thanks for your help it is appreciated.

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 8 (4,963 Views)

Hi,

It sounds like your notebook is, running and charging again. :smileyhappy: 

Sometimes system files become corrupt.

That was what we took care of when deleting and then letting the operating system install fresh instances of the devices again.

The battery should charge up to its maximum capacity now..

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
brookerz
Message 6 of 8 (4,454 Views)

I am the owner of a HP Pavilion g series latop. AMD E-350 Processor.  In the last day or two I have noticed that I can have my laptop charger plugged into the laptop, and it will say "Plugged in, Not Charging" and then sometimes right after that say "Plugged in, Charging". The light on the side that change colors when the battery is full/charging will blink back and forth between red and white. I am not sure what to do. Any help? Thank you in advance. 

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 7 of 8 (3,871 Views)

@brookerz,

Have you tried Erico's steps listed earlier?

They are the best place to start and have the best chance of a resolution provided it is not a hardware issue.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
patriot22
Message 8 of 8 (1,850 Views)

That was a nice, clean and quick solution!

Much appreciated.:smileyvery-happy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation