Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a Pavilion G6-1b79ca and the battery stopped charging.

Windows show "Plugged in, charging" and the level stay at 0%. Forever.

Obviously it is now completely drained.

If I remove the DC plug the computer close immediately.

Here is what I've done so far, more or less in that order:

1. Replaced the battery (recommended by the BIOS openning page...)

2. Tried this popular fix:

Shutdown->Remove Battery and power plug->Hold "POWER" button 30 sec->Plug DC cable->Boot->Device Manager->Battery->Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Complient Control Method Battery ->Shutdown->Put Battery in (Can't boot on it alone since it won't charge... but maybe that could help)->Start computer

3. Updated all drivers and reinstalled all HP utilities (got the Intel drivers directly from the Intel website)

4. I updated the BIOS to the latest version and reseted it to default settings

5. Tested the power adapter with a multimeter (Psu unloaded, referenced to outer ground sleeve it read 19.8V=Inner plug, 18V center pin)

6. Replaced the motherboard (which has been replaced already)

7. Replaced the PSU

8. Reinstalled Windows

9. Soldered the power adapter directly to the motherboard to bypass all contact connections (cut the DC plug and soldered the bare wires directly to the pcb)

The HP BIOS utility (F2 at startup) tells me that the new battery fails the test and need to be replaced. Awesome.

The battery test in the HP assistant utility (run in Windows) tells me that the battery is OK but would need to be charged (Seriously???? This is becoming funny...)

So basically the hardware is brand new.

Windows/HP utility tells me that the battery is OK but the BIOS utility will tell me to replace it.

What the hell is happening????

The hardware is supposed to be A1 (fully replaced) and windows have been completely reinstalled.

Any suggestion?? My sanity start to fade....

On a side note, here is the situation I hope did not happened:

1. The original battery failed

2. It burned the motherboard charging circuit

3. I replaced the battery which then got damaged by the burned motherboard charging circuit

4. I finally replaced the motherboard which got damaged by the new battery, that was damaged by the previous motherboard, which was damaged by the original battery....

5. Back to square one, a couple of hundred $ less and a lot of time lost....

I can't see myself buying ANOTHER motherboard/battery combo without going crazy.....

Thanks for any help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

IT'S ALIVE!!! Lolll!

➡️ If you have problem, and your laptop battery stuck. first check this link: HP Diagnostics solutions to help you resolve your PC issues with ease. 

The problem was the new battery, I don't know why but it was completely drained and never got to charge.

I ask the seller to replace it and to charge the new one a bit so I was able to boot on the battery only.

✔️ I removed the psu and the battery, held the POWER button 30sec and booted on the battery alone.

✔️ Once in Windows I pluged the charger and now it is fully charged!

✔️ Looks like the key here was to be able to boot on the battery alone. a thing I never could achieve while struggling with the drained one.

Hope this thread help someone to troubleshoot battery problems, since it contains a LOT of possible solutions.

Thanks to those who took of their time to help!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

So no ideas anyone???

Maybe I shoud contact HP directly, I,ve done everything I could think of and will update  if I find something.

HP Recommended

Ah... funny enough my warranty is expired and I can't contact HP without paying fees.

I fear that if I do so they will simply suggest to go through the steps I already made....

I'm on my own unless someone here have a suggestion.

I'm looking to exchange the battery in case I got a DOA one... will let you guys know how it turns out, since it's a prety commun issue (according to the number of threads I found on the web).

This is starting to piss me of I must say, this is becoming very cryptic according to my sens of logic...

HP Recommended

BUMP!

Just in case... 😉

HP Recommended

Did you tried replacing the DC jack in the motherboard???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxxtV2kgZHE

HP Recommended

Not exactly, what I did is remove the power jack completely and cut the charger plug to solder the bare wire directly on the motherboard, bypassing every kind of connection.

I made sure everything was providing its power to the original pin, the same was the wires where were connected on the mobo power jack. I even left the orginal LED wires connected to the dc jack just to be sure the mobo thought everything was "original".

Of course this is not recommeneded to do at all but that was a desperate try.

Thanks for your suggestion!

HP Recommended

IT'S ALIVE!!! Lolll!

➡️ If you have problem, and your laptop battery stuck. first check this link: HP Diagnostics solutions to help you resolve your PC issues with ease. 

The problem was the new battery, I don't know why but it was completely drained and never got to charge.

I ask the seller to replace it and to charge the new one a bit so I was able to boot on the battery only.

✔️ I removed the psu and the battery, held the POWER button 30sec and booted on the battery alone.

✔️ Once in Windows I pluged the charger and now it is fully charged!

✔️ Looks like the key here was to be able to boot on the battery alone. a thing I never could achieve while struggling with the drained one.

Hope this thread help someone to troubleshoot battery problems, since it contains a LOT of possible solutions.

Thanks to those who took of their time to help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.