Question

Student
qerat2
Message 1 of 3 (4,797 Views)

Laptop doesn't recognize charger

[ Edited ]

A few weeks ago I started getting a message saying "You should consider replacing your battery". I had noticed the life of my battery had begun to drop, but it didn't really care for it, as I usually have an outlet nearby to charge it.

A few days ago I woke up, turned on my computer and noticed it had low battery, so i tried to charge it, however it wouldn't charge. My laptop didn't even detect the charger (no light appears on the laptop when it's plugged in). Thinking the problem was the charger, I went to best buy and bought a new HP charger. Same results, laptop wouldn't detect the charger at all.

At this point I thought the battery was the problem. So I went and returned the charger, and ordered a new battery online. The battery arrived today, so I tried it out. The message telling me to replace my battery was gone, however my laptop still would not detect the charger.

At this point the only thing I haven't tried is a new charger and new battery at the same time. Since HP adapters don't have a light on them itself, I can't figure out if my old charger is actually dead or not. My warranty is expired, so if it's an internal problem, I'm in trouble (broke college student). Anyone have any ideas/suggestions and what could be wrong? I am planning to try another charger tomorrow, and hopefully that will work.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any suggestions.

ETA: Would also like to say I've never had a problem with the charger, or overheating on this laptop before. and it's an HP G60 series.

Intern
Techgenius
Message 2 of 3 (4,722 Views)

Re: Laptop doesn't recognize charger

Hello,

Check to see if the charging port is firm and that its is not broken.

Also try turning the machine on without the battery installed .

Kindly post results

Thanks

Student
georaymar
Message 3 of 3 (4,709 Views)

Re: Laptop doesn't recognize charger

i had exact same prob. with my toshiba,i finally checked th port,,was loose connection from where i'd moved it around while i had it connected ,i just took tiny screwdriver and bent metal contacts in to make better connection. but still had to rotate end of charger wire to certain position to make contact,worked for me,,i'm too broke to pay for new one,,lol,hope it helps

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation