Question

Top Student
dtglasow
Message 1 of 9 (25,024 Views)

Laptop keys not working

Some keys, specifically the ''H'', ''G'' and ''backspace'' keys have stopped working on my laptop. I have not spilled anything on the keyboard or damaged it in any way. It's still in warranty (only 3 months old) so I know I can send it away to be fixed but honestly that is not an option right now. I need my computer for work and university so any suggestions as to how to fix this either myself or through an HP shop somewhere in the UK would be appreciated. At least an explanation would be helpful, from web searches I saw that many people have this problem with HP laptops and it's always these 3 keys.

Thanks, David.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 9 (24,979 Views)

Re: Laptop keys not working

3 things to try in increasing order of difficulty...1. remove the keyboard as a device from device manager (uninstall) and let windows reinstall the keyboard driver on reboot; then, 2. reattach the keyboard ribbon cable; then, 3. install a new keyboard.

If we knew the exact model (always a good thing to put in a help forum post) we could link you right to the manual and I can find you a keyboard for sale cheap on UK eBay. On most HP laptops keyboard replacement is very easy.

Top Student
dtglasow
Message 3 of 9 (24,971 Views)

Would replacing the keyboard myself not void my warranty? Its an HP G62-A11SA Notebook PC.

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 9 (24,965 Views)

Ahhhhh that is the downside. Perhaps. If you are really careful they will not know

Top Student
dtglasow
Message 5 of 9 (24,928 Views)

I thought it would, i'll wait until a slower period at work and send it away then.

Thanks for the help.

Provost
Huffer
Message 6 of 9 (24,920 Views)

You can try step 1 without affecting the warranty.

Top Student
dtglasow
Message 7 of 9 (24,883 Views)

Tat was the first thin I tried, I tink the problem is not the keyboard itself but the moterboard. I tried to arrane for P to fix te laptop but tey said tere is a 3 week minimum now wic is simply not possible.

[fun game, try and uess which of te keys randomly decide to not work]

Provost
Huffer
Message 8 of 9 (24,857 Views)

I would not worry much about voiding a warranty you cannot really use, anyway. The g and h key section right down the middle of the keyboard is one of the more common to go out on a bad keyboard. I think it is worth a $30 keyboard and the off chance it may void the warranty to install it to have a laptop that works, but that's just me.

Student
Megv
Message 9 of 9 (20,783 Views)

I purchased a pavilion dm 1-4170us Entertainment PC 2 months ago.

My backspace key does not work in my Charter email program only.

It does work in word, and it just worked here...

What shall I do about this?

I am traveling for the next few weeks, and can send it in when I get back.

Most inconvenient!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation