Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have an issue woth my laptop. My problem is my computer has become very slow it would take a very long time to open an application. Some times the applications run by explorer would not open. Web pages take forever to load even windows explorer loads the folders very slowly. Lots of time the windows say "not responding"(incl. Chrome, FF etc.). 

BUT that problems happens ocasionally. I mean laptop is doing fine for 5 minutes and that again lags etc. for like 5 minutes.

I can´t launch any game.

I reinstalled(with a format) the Windows for 3 times and problem still presists yet is was fine till 2 weeks ago.

Specs:

Hp Pavilion dv6940ec

Procesor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5750, 2 GHz,

RAM 3GB,

Windows 7, 32bit,

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS

HDD 320 GB, 5400 rpm,

Even know that this laptop is made for W Vista, I used W7 for 2 years and it was running great.

Please help.

Thanks for response

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for reply,

I´ve done as you said.

HDD test said- Test status: #10009- Replace Hard drive (I think the test wasn´t even running)

Memory test said- Result-Passed, Warranty ID: #10000

Do does this mean I have to replace the HD or is it fixable 🙂 ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The diagnostic result does indicate that the HDD is failing and will need to be replaced - this is also consistent with the issues you describe in your initial post.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.