Question

Tutor
MandyRose
Message 1 of 149 (95,055 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laptop turns on off on off on off--wont stop!!

We have a Pavillion dv6700 model number dv6812nr that turns on for about 2 seconds (LED lights on but black screen-no error message) but then turns off for a few seconds, then on, then off, then on, then off.  Repeats this process until we hold the power button down until it turns off permanently or until we remove the battery.  Tried removing the RAM sticks one at a time to see if this was a problem but it did the same off/on thing with each stick.  Tried F8 and F10 to see if we could get to a point to run some troubleshooting, but nope.  Wont respond...just likes turning off and on and off and on....stubborn.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks in advance.  

Teacher
MikeOB
Message 2 of 149 (95,042 Views)

Re: Laptop turns on off on off on off--wont stop!!

Hi MandyRose,

Is there any beeping when you turn the unit on ?

Thanks,
Michael

I am a HP Employee! Woot!
Top Student
NightRanger
Message 3 of 149 (95,054 Views)

I have an HP DV6113 that has the EXACT same symptom. It began on Thursday, July 16.

The Wireless stopped working in May and I looked on HPs website and saw the recall regarding wireless not working. Since I don't use or need wireless very often, I was not willing to give up my laptop for probably at least 3 weeks

Now, this began happening and it is another symptom specified in the HP recall which is located here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca&docname=c01087277&printable=no&encodeUrl=true&. Unfortunately, since I've had my laptop since December of 2006, HP refuses to repair what is a known issue since it didn't manifest itself within their specified time period of repair.

Any help or guidance on how to possibly repair the computer or get HP's assistance to fix a known defect would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Top Student
User1324
Message 4 of 149 (95,032 Views)

My DV6000 has the same problem after HP replaced the motherboard on a recall.  They gave 90 day warranty on the replacement and the computer failed as described in the above post two weeks after the 90 day warranty expired. HP refuses to replace the defective part they put in.
Tutor
MandyRose
Message 5 of 149 (94,997 Views)

No beeping.  Just a click when it turns on and off. The fan and LED lights all turn on/off on/off on/off repeatedly all by themselves.  Strange. 
Teacher
MikeOB
Message 6 of 149 (95,004 Views)

MandyRose wrote:
No beeping.  Just a click when it turns on and off. The fan and LED lights all turn on/off on/off on/off repeatedly all by themselves.  Strange. 

Do you know if your unit is still within warrenty ?

Thanks,
Michael

I am a HP Employee! Woot!
Intern
akkhandelwal
Message 7 of 149 (94,995 Views)

I have a DV6768se, which is doing the same thing. It is partly solved like this.

I removed the battery and the rear cover in the center. I found the button cell for the motherboard, which I removed and left the laptop for about an hour. It allowed the bios to reset to default values and then the computer will start and everything will work fine, till it will shutoff unexpectedly due to some mysterious reason and  I had to repeat the same process to bring it to live again.

Based on the post I have seen so far, this problem is related to corruption of Bios. I am still in the process to get a correct solution. Couple of them which i have tried so far are as below:

1. Downloaded updated bois from HP web site, it will not upload giving error " Not for this machine". HP customer service is horrible- no support on this.

2. Tried to do system restore, the process gets stuck at 0% at "formatting the hard drive" for almost 5 minutes and then the screen goes blank.

3.Tried to load winXP, which formats the hard drive, loads all the files, but will not accept any of the WinXP serial numbers ( all good numbers from my other machines)

Finally I ordered system restore CD from HP, But I am again stuck with the same blank screen after stuck for five minutes at 0% at formatting the hard drive stage.

I had bought another HP laptop ( still under warranty) the battery does not charge sometimes and some keys are not working. Horrible quality compared to Dell laptops I had so far.

Any help is appreciated. HP tech support will not sing unless you feed them $ 99 at least and looking at the quality of their tech support so far, I am sure it will be a waste. I would rather sell it as it is on ebay and buy a Dell.

My next laptop will surely be NON HP.

Intern
Kodi
Message 8 of 149 (94,952 Views)

try doing a hard rest....pull the battery and the AC plug,push the power button and hold it for about 30 seconds release. put the battery back in and plug in the AC. push the power button and it should turn on.

good luck

Intern
Kodi
Message 9 of 149 (94,968 Views)

i forgot to add if the hard reset you can do this..it sets the BIOS back to default

1. Turned off the computer

2. Removed Battery and disconnected power cord.

3. Waited, pensively, for 5-10 minutes

4. Plugged the power cord back in but DO NOT reinsert the battery

5. Holding down the Insert/Scroll button, hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds, release the power button. still hold the Insert/Scroll button pressed the computer shoul come up and Windows should  boot. 

6. Restart hit ESC  it should open the BIOS and reset to default. restart computer should come back.

good luck

Intern
akkhandelwal
Message 10 of 149 (94,932 Views)

I forgot to mention here. Couple of times when I went in the Bios, I can only see the Main tab, other tabs are missing (telling me that it is corrupt Bios)

I will try your method, however, on my laptop scroll and insert are on seperate buttons, which one should I use.

Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation