Question

Honor Student
kee1
Message 1 of 7 (31,083 Views)

Laptop will not charge when plugged in.

[ Edited ]

Okay so, I have the HP Pavilion DV7-4270us Windows 7 64-bit
A week ago I realized I have to put my ac adapter plug in weird positions to get my laptop to charge. I realized it was an issue but did not bother with it. Last night, the laptop would not charge at all. No matter what position I put the plug in. I then started to google some solutions but none of them worked and my laptop was running out of charge. When I went into HP Support Assistant I checked the battery and they told me it was okay but it needs to be plugged in, it also told me that I need to update my HP Power Manager Utility Software which I tried to do but the power went out. I then took out the battery put it back in then pressed the power button. At the side where the LED indicator is was blinking orange every time I pressed it. After a while of pressing and holding it it came on and the laptop was charging. I went straight to the HP Support Assistant and updated the Power Manager. When it finished it told me that the download failed. When I looked at the version it was the latest. I left the laptop to charge overnight. When I woke up this morning it was not charging anymore and the charge was at 46%.. I don't know what happened or what is wrong with the charge. If someone can give me a solution anything would be good. Or even maybe something I can do. Should I take it in to the repair man or something? Is it something with the software or the AC adapter itself or even the computer? 
Thanks in advance.  

Honor Student
kee1
Message 2 of 7 (30,973 Views)

Re: Laptop will not charge when plugged in.

Okay, so I talked to a HP technician. They said that it might be a problem with the ac adapter itself so they're sending me a new one.
Honor Student
beagley2012
Message 3 of 7 (30,710 Views)

kee1,

Did you get your problem fixed?  I'm having the same issues on a dv7-4170us model.  Currently, mine says "no battery is detected" while the battery is in the system.  When I run the HP Support software, it of course tells me to reinstall the battery (gee, ya think?)

I don't believe my problem is with the power cord since I'm using the laptop now with the power cord supporting it.  The battery seems to be all the way dead, and I can't get it to charge.  The 4 lights on the battery are dead, and the button on the battery doesn't do anything.  The light on the side of the laptop goes from blinking to solid red/amber.

Just curious if you've found out anything more.

Thanks!

J

Honor Student
kee1
Message 4 of 7 (30,707 Views)

Yes I did! It was my power cord. My old one was damaged. HP sent me a new power cord and my laptop has been charging fine.

The best advice I can give you is to talk to a HP technician. the link is:
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-006&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=82710&h_client=S-A-R...

Tell them your problem and they will most likely ship you a new battery if you're still under warranty. If they ship you a new battery and if it still doesn't work you will have to get it repaired.

Hope I helped.
1ob Honor Student
Honor Student
1ob
Message 5 of 7 (23,519 Views)

The computer stops recognizing it is plugged in when at full charge. Unplug for a minute and try replugging. The computer will have trouble sensing it is plugged in so keep attempting until you see the middle light on the bottom front of computer with a f symbol light and stay lite. The computer will then recharge the battery, This is VERY annoying HP and it will keep me from buying another! Please take note, fix - and do something to make your current users happy!!!!
Honor Student
beagley2012
Message 6 of 7 (23,123 Views)

Well, I'm back.

At the time my last post, I had purchased a new laptop battery and that seemed to fix the problem.  The laptop worked fine except that we didn't actually use or turn on the laptop for a few months while we moved.  We turned it on last week and we have the EXACT same problem again (see Jan 8, 2012 post).  I'd say we got 20-30 total hours of use out of the new battery.  Not 20-30 hours of use in one charge, I mean the entire lifetime of the battery.

1ob, when I unplug the power cord from the laptop it immediately dies.  I see what you're talking about, but that doesn't seem to be my issue.

Anyone?

Student
gforce821
Message 7 of 7 (14,494 Views)

I have a very simular problem, is there a solution?  I know that my power supply is okay and I bought a new battery.  My "led" light on the side where the AC power adapter plugs in is no longer liighting up, but the "blue" light on my power adapter is lithing upi fine.  It also has a USB slot where I normally power up my cell phone with.  It seemed to start when I too my laptop off of the AC Adapter.  Then, it did not lose any power for a long time and held steady at 81%.  When I took it off of the adapter again, it started to lose power normally, as it would if it was not on the adapter.  But, it would never begin to charge again.  Since the LED light is off, I can only assume that there is where the problem lies.  I do not know what to do about it.  Any suggestions, short of taking it to a repair shop?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciate.  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation