Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Have a compaq presario cq40 215wm and it will not turn on.  The power light and antenna lights are lit.  When I put a disk in the drive it sounds like it is spinning.  The monitor is still black.  I have connected an external monitor and it stays black also.  I have two lights flashing.  One above the scroll key and one next to the cap lock key.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I would suggest you follow the following document on identifying Blank Screen LED error codes to check what is the issue with the notebook:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try to perform a hard reset.

1.  disconnect the battery and ac adapter.

2.  Hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

3.  Plug everything back in and turn it on to see if you get a display.

If not, power down the laptop.  As soon as you turn it on, repeatly tap the F10 key to see if your notebook will boot into BIOS.

If you can boot into BIOS, press the F9 key to reset BIOS to default. Once you are done, visit www.hp.com using your product number to see if there are any BIOS updates for you pc.

This is a link in reference to the blinking codes you are experiencing.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Tried both, no change.  Cannot boot to BIOS.

I have also used two different charges and have tried a different hard drive.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would suggest looking at this document about blink codes for notebook computers. When you have a blinking LED light on the caps lock or number lock key it generally indicates a hardware failure. The document also gives you some additional steps on how to reseat the hardware on your notebook. Hope this is helpful.

http://saw.cce.hp.com/km/saw/view.do?docId=emr_na-c01732674&hsid=30799157

I work for HP.
HP Recommended
hi i have an hp laptop model no dv6-6bo3tx it is not turning on and the white light near the charging point is blinking when i plug the charger in and i hve chek two chargers but it is still the same can u please tell me what wrongs with it
HP Recommended

Hey gabzzz, 

I'm sorry you're running into this power issue. The white light blinking next to the AC Adapter port is indicating insufficient power. I know you've already tried different chargers. Did you happen to try them in different wall outlets, perhaps a wall outlet that has a working lamp or TV plugged into it? Try plugging it directly into that outlet without a power strip/surge protector in the middle. 

Also, are you using the original adapter or a third party one? Make sure it is 90 or 120 W.

HP Recommended
yups i tried different working wall outlets and two different charger which are original and with the same curent supply but it doesnt work
HP Recommended

Ok I've got a couple of other things for you to try as well. 

• Hard Reset

1. Remove the battery, AC Adapter and all other peripherals

2. Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds to drain all of the electricity out of the unit

3. Release the power button and reinsert the battery and AC Adapter

4. Press the Power button to turn it on.

Does the screen light up? Do you hear any spinning (hard drive, CD drive, fan)?

ALSO

• Remove the battery and just use the AC Adapter by itself. Then try turning it on.

AND

• Check the connections on the AC Adapters going into the power brick in the middle of the power cord.
  • Inspect both AC Adapters for wire damage or damage to the power brick.

• Try both adapters in other computers and let me know if they work.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.