Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In my case the computer -  a Compaq SA423 - with  the AC adapter on its own won't start without the battery either.  However,  once it has fired up, it will run with the AC adapter on it;s own without the battery in place.  The AC adapter will charge the battery, but there is no power cord in the battery icon showing if the AC adapter is plugged in UNLESS I remove the battery. What is going on?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Hi,

In order ti isolate the issue further, i request you to download the latest bios from the HP site and check for the issue occurrence.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

Also, to confirm the AC Adapter issue, request you to connect this adapter to ant other notebook and check.

Please reply with the results.

HP Recommended

Hi I eventually got the courage to update the BIOS.  The problem still remains.  My AC adapter works on a different notebook in that it will start it up without the need for a battery to be in place and the AC Power symbol is also visible when my AC Adapter is plugged in.  So it looks like a Motherboard or power module connected to motherboard fault.

The strange thing is that the AC Adapter will charge the battery even though the AC power lightning symbol isn't displayed.

HP Recommended

Try a power drain. Sounds like a case of it. We often get weird issues surrounding power on all models of HP laptop.

Remove battery, remove power lead, hold power button for 30 seconds, put back together.

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry to revive this old thread. This is a common problem with HP laptops? I just bought one for less than 2 weeks & encountered this problem. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.