Question

Honor Student
-Daniel
Message 1 of 5 (1,956 Views)

Laptop won't turn on after BIOS update

A few days ago, my 9470m Ultrabook automatically updated its BIOS. This was fine, as it has updated its BIOS before in the past. I went to do some things while it updated, and when I came back, the laptop had turned off. The charge light (the lightning bolt light on the edge of the laptop) was blinking white and amber and did not turn on when I pressed the power button. When I took off the battery, the light stopped blinking, and when I put the battery back in, the light began to blink again, but the laptop still would not turn back on when I pressed the power button. I've tried taking off the battery and plugging in the AC only, but still the light would just blink and the laptop would not turn on when I pressed the power button. I do not know what is wrong. The laptop had been working flawlessly until the BIOS update. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to any support.

-Daniel

Master's Graduate
Siby_M
Message 2 of 5 (1,949 Views)

Re: Laptop won't turn on after BIOS update

Hi,

At first, please try a Hard Reset as follows.

Performing a hard reset

Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and SD media cards.

Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds to drain all residual power and restore default startup settings.

Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not insert the battery), press the Power button, look for glowing Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) near the caps lock and num lock keys, and listen for sounds of a fan or other moving parts turning.

If the computer starts normally after performing a hard reset, you are done troubleshooting.

When the Notebook restarts keep tapping the f10 key to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults (this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

I am waiting to hear back from you.

!------------------- Please click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'. Please mark 'Accept as Solution' if it answers/solves your problem. Thank you-----------------------------------------------------------------!

I am an HP Employee.

Honor Student
-Daniel
Message 3 of 5 (1,937 Views)

I tried the hard reset, but still the same thing as before. As soon as i plugged the laptop into the power supply, the charge light began blinking white and amber. same as before. When I pressed the power button, there was no response. No fans started up and no lights on the caps lock button came up either, only the blinking light from the charge light.

-Daniel

Honor Student
-Daniel
Message 4 of 5 (1,901 Views)

Not sure if there was a misunderstanding or not, but it has been a week since the last reply, and the solution given did not solve my problem. My laptop is still not working and the symptoms are still the same as before. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Daniel

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 5 of 5 (1,885 Views)

I am sorry Daniel, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial notebook. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/

I hope this helps.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation