Question

Honor Student
BlestByPixieDus
Message 1 of 4 (4,247 Views)

Laptop won't turn on after taking it apart

ok here is the situation,

First off I have a pavillon 6000. My fan had been making noises so I decided to take it apart so I could clean the dust out of it. (But thats not the question I want help with right now) So when I was putting it all together again, the little ribbon underneith the switchboard that connects to the power button wouldnt stay in its spot. I think that ribbon is like an IDE bus or something, but I'm not sure the exact name. Iit just looks like a little ribbon. But anyway, so when I was trying to put that little ribbon in its spot, I noticed a couple of the little metal lines had detached from the plastic ribbon. I can mold them back in place with my fingers, but if im not careful, they move. I tried to stick it in it's spot and continued to put it all together again, and now it doesnt even turn on. If i plug it into the wall, the battery light goes on, but when i push the power button nothing happens. I'm thinking it has to do with the little ribbon that connects to the power button. Can anyone help? I really need my computer for my last week of school this week and it's monday night. :smileysad:

Thanks for your time

Intern
Leo5311
Message 2 of 4 (4,235 Views)

Re: Laptop won't turn on after taking it apart

Hi!

First of all, there are so many pavilion 6000 in the HP website. Can you be more specific? That is exact model number.

Second, did you follow the procedure as outlined in your laptop's maintenance and service manual?

Honor Student
BlestByPixieDus
Message 3 of 4 (4,215 Views)

Sure...

On the computer itself it says "pavilion dv6000" but If I remember correctly, maybe I have the 6500, but I'm not sure. BUT, I did get it working!!! I'm not sure how exactly it turned on, but its working. I am deffinitly going to be very careful not to bang it around. Unfortunitly, I just noticed that I have another problem, the sound doesnt work. In order to find out how to fix this problem, I just posted another post that reads...

So here is the situation...

My fan has been making noise so I wanted to clean out all the dust from inside my Pavilion dv6000. (But that isn't what i need help with right now.) So after I took it all apart and put it back together, I had this problem with turning the computer on. I think it had to do with this little ribbon cable that wasn't going in the spot where it had to be (it was connected to the power button chip.) I finally got that ribbon where it was suppose to be, and tried to turn it on. It still didnt start. The battery light would go on when it was plugged in, but nothing happened when I pushed the power button. I finally decided to give up and clean the finger prints off of it so I could bring it to my IT teacher tomorrow. While cleaning it, it all of a sudden turned on. I dont know what happened. It just turned on by itself. I mean, I could have pushed something while cleaning it, or maybe something was loose and tightened while i was cleaning it. But anyway, I finally got it to turn on. Now while doing homework, I notice the sound isnt working. I really dont want to take it apart if i dont have to becuase this is the last week of school and I need these practice tests that I put on my computer. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to possibly fix my audio without taking it apart. I was thinking if i check for the latest driver, maybe that would help, but i have the latest driver and the sound still doesnt work. So does anyone know how I can fix this without taking it apart? If not, does anyone know how I can fix it if i do take it apart? (for example, things to check to make sure they are connected correctly or tightened?)

Thanks for your time and help, I really appreciate it.

Intern
Leo5311
Message 4 of 4 (4,197 Views)

Hi!

I have look into the maintenance and service guide of DV6500 cto entertainment computer(here). On page 62 I can see that there are several cables connected to the power button board assembly. Some of the connectors uses the ZIF (zero insertion force) connectors. Perhaps it is these connectors that you are having trouble with in the original thread. Before you can remove or insert the cables into these ZIF connectors w/o exerting pressure you must first dis-engage/engage the lock. On page 62 referring to the ZIF label 1, the black color part is the lock. Try pushing that in the arrow direction to dis-engage. Once dis-engaged then you can pull in the same direction the cable easily. To install, do the reverse and don't forget to lock it else you will have a loose connection.

As to the sound if you refer to page 63, there is also a cable going into the power button board assembly from the sound assembly. It's not clear if ZIF is utilized. You might have to check them later on. As to the sound driver, do you have sound before this problem occurred? If yes, then you do not need to reinstal the sound drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation