Question
Low Disk Space - Mini 110
Replies (36)

Honor Student
PrintHead2
Message 21 of 37 (3,833 Views)

Re: Low Disk Space - Mini 110

Just to be clear, my post just above was in reply to the post on 08-25-2009  (07:03 AM) by  Daniel_Potyrala.

Honor Student
rd5590
Message 22 of 37 (3,729 Views)

If you are running Roxio BackonTrack  uninstall it. Take a look at the background processes for BOT. Eliminating it from Startup isn't enough.  I had this problem and it was Roxio BOT that was gobbling up the disk. Be sure to create an XP restore point after undoing BOT.

Honor Student
biovirus1
Message 23 of 37 (3,516 Views)

Hey, HP, you call this SUPPORT?

I have the same problem with HP Mini 1000 with 16 Gig SS disk.

Missing approx 7 Gig. Cleaned up everything, cheched all the folders.

I do not have Roxio, switched off Restore, etc., so please, do not suggest the obvious.

Been working with computers for almost 30 years now, never saw anything like that. But the worst of it is HPs silence.

Why dont someone from HP addresses the situation seriously and suggest serious solution?

Alex.

Afghanistan.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 24 of 37 (3,503 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Download WinDirStat. This free aplication is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Microsoft Windows (all current variants).

With this software You will be able to find very easy this files which are taking your HDD space.

Check this YouTube tutorial to find out how to use it.

Important information!

Before You will do anything please backup your system. If You will delete wrong file this will allow You to fix this mistake.

All informations about it You will find here in fifth reply written by CherylG.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
biovirus1
Message 25 of 37 (3,485 Views)

[ Edited ]

Daniel,

Wonderful version of old Linux utility, but it does not change anything for me - it correctly reports sum of all files abround 7 Gigs and at the same time tells me that I only have 200 meg free space left on 15 Gig drive.

Interestingly enough, the disparity does not confuse this program, as it should, IMHO, at least warn the user of such a mismatch.

Again, HP people, give us something serious here, you know about the problem, many people complained. My special circumstance is that I cannot just throw this system away, curse HP and buy a new one because they do not sell them in Kabul on every corner the way they do in good old USA.

PS In case HP still has no interest in helping its customers, may be there is a relatively safe way way to copy all 7 gigs of legitimate stuff on a large SD, reformat the 15 gig SS drive and put the system back? I am not familiar with the way windows boots, UNix would allow to do this with dd, me thinks...

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 26 of 37 (3,423 Views)

Show me screen from this program. You may just upload this photo on any server and post here link.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
kenscholes
Message 27 of 37 (3,375 Views)

I"m having the same issue.  And both Xinorbis and WinDirStat seem to only be able to "see" about half my 16GB hard drive.  I'm also pretty sure there is a D: but it isn't showing up anywhere that I can see it.

I've worked through HP's tech support and have been escalated to a phone call from a manager who said they had no idea when they'd get back to me on this.  I've also sent notes further up the chain of command.

So sadly, at this point, my next question is:  Who out there makes something better that is roughly the same size keyboard?  I write my novels on this machine and it's perfect for airplaines and travel because the keyboard is so close to actual size.  So, recommendations to fix this would be great and recommendations on what else to buy if HP won't back its product would also be welcome.

Student
Wickvid
Message 28 of 37 (3,305 Views)

Re: Low Disk Space - Mini 110 (Solution)

[ Edited ]

OK first check out a prog called JDisk Report.  http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

Run this on your C: drive and it will tell you where the memory is being used. You will see a pie chart with about 3.0GB being used by Windows and you will also see 2.5GB being used by something "Being used in this Directory" or something like that...

Anway that 2.5 is your problem....what you want to do is goto Top 50 and you will see 2 large files. Pagefile.sys 1.5 GB and Hiberfil.sys 1.0GB.

The problem is that these files require that much memory to work...so if you free up 300MB and your Pagefiel and Hiberfile are only using 2.3GB.....then they will take the memory you just freed up! They will always try to achive 2.5GB allocated for RAM and Himbernation...but don't worry you can either set these to lower memory usage or turn them off...

Here is how you find them:

Pagefile.sys:

As to the pagefile.sys that is in use by the virtual memory if you have plenty of ram you can turn off or at least reduce the amount set aside:

• click start
  • right click my computer
  • click properties
  • click advanced (tab)
  • under performance click settings
  • click advanced (tab) under virtual memory click change

here you can change the space available for each drive by choosing the custom button then entering the amount you want or if ya got lotsa ram choose the no paging file either way make sure to click the “set” button when you’re done

Hiberfil.sys:

OK, that's the role of hibernation - so what is the hiberfil.sys file and why is it so big? Hibernation takes everything in memory and writes it to your hard drive as the hiberfil.sys file. If you have 512MB of memory, then hiberfil.sys will be about 512MB. If you have 2GB, the file will be around 2GB. The important point to remember is that even if you don't use hibernation, hiberfil.sys will still take up this huge amount of disk space. The way to remove the file is to turn off the hibernation feature (by default, hibernate is activated automatically when XP is installed). Here's how to do it:

1. Open the Windows Control Panel
  2. Double-click Power Options
  3. Click the Hibernate tab, de-select the 'Enable hibernate support' check box, and then click Apply.
  4. Restart your computer and hiberfil.sys should be automatically deleted (this is not always the case - simply delete it if Windows didn't do it for you).
  5. If you change your mind in the future and would like to use hibernation, go back to the Hibernate tab as described in the first three steps and check the box 'enable hibernation'.

Well that should about do it...it worked great for me as I needed to free up memory to install Windows 7 on my 16GB HP Mini... :smileyhappy:

Student
JhonyQ
Message 29 of 37 (3,037 Views)

The problem is BackonTrack running. Just go to the program and erase the bacups. Go to options and manage to erase every 7 days so you can still recover sometinf if you make a mistaque. 

Adicionally when you erase a program and empty the recycle bin, you dont save space on disk because the file is backed by the program. But erase the file withot sending to the recycle bin you free space on disk.

Student
mmsanjose
Message 30 of 37 (2,870 Views)

Re: Low Disk Space - Mini 110 (Solution)

I have a HP mini 1000 model 1030nr with a 16gb SSD installed.  I appreciate all the guidance here, but I am still seeing a 5 gb gap above the actual 7 gb of files on the SS disk (using all the utilities recommended here) and the 12 gb of disk space that the "Properties" tab in Windows XP reports as being used. All the various folder viewers show only 7 gb of stored data even including the "hidden files".

Is this a case where I need to re-format the SSD hard disk and re-install the system software to get back this lost 5 gb?  I've turned off hiberation and system restore and paging is set to 1 gb, so I am at a loss what is gobbling up this 5 gb of memory.

Thanks in advance for any advice

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation