Question

Top Student
mikechicago
Message 1 of 2 (139 Views)
Accepted Solution

Low Internal Battery - 601 error before startup of Windows

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 (product number XG737UA#ABA and model dv6-3163cl) running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I tested, tried callibrating, and didn't help.  My battery meter says that it only gets a max of 77% charge and then stops charging.

I then  shut down my laptop, unplugged the power cord from the laptop, then took out the removable battery pack,  plugged the power cord back in, and then powered laptop on with only the power cord plugged in.  I didn't get the 601 error message when booting up.  Questions:

1) Does this mean the small coin-sized internal clock battery isn't the issue, but instead the large, black removable battery pack is the issue?

2)  If yes to the above, do I just replace the battery 593554-001?  Do I want a 6, 9, or 12 cell (I assume the bigger the cell, the more years it will last)?  I found these: http://www.battdepot.com/us/search/opn/hp/593554-001.aspx

3) While I wait for the battery to arrive, is it safe to run the computer with the defective battery pack intact and running, or do I only want to run the laptop with the battery out and plugged in?  The latter will be difficult as I need to walk from place to place with the laptop.

Thanks!

Mike

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 2 of 2 (109 Views)

Re: Low Internal Battery - 601 error before startup of Windows

Hello mikechicago,

I see that you are having a low internal battery error message. I will try to assist you.

To answer you're questions.

1) Based on the fact that if the battery on the back is removed the error is gone, this would imply the issue is indeed with that batter and not the cmos battery.

2) On page 53 of the Maintenance and Service guide, you will find the support replacement batteries for you notebook with part numbers. Which should answer this questions.

3) It's not recommended to continue to use the battery. For the time being until you receive the replacement, it would be best to use it plugged in.

I hope this was able to answer all of your questions.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation