Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello all, I've looked in the manuals and online, but I can't find the max memory allowed in this notebook.  I think it is 4GB, but am not sure?  Thanks in advance.

The world owes you nothing.
tx1000 , Rd223av, AMD Turion 64 X2, 2.00 GHz, 2.00 GB
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended
Crucial shows the maximum amount for your notebook as 2GB total.

Is your unit a CTO?  Try posting the PN from the white tag on the bottom of your notebook....
HP Recommended

Thanks, but aren't the 64 bit machines allowed to run 4GB?  The P/N is {Removed for privacy} and the model is RD223AV.

HP Recommended

@Ron_J wrote:
Thanks, but aren't the 64 bit machines allowed to run 4GB?  The P/N is CNF7151KX5 and the model is RD223AV.

There are software limitations and there are hardware limitations.

Your hardware (officially) only supports up to 2GB of RAM, while your software (officially) supports up to 8GB, 16GB, and 128GB of RAM (Depending on which version of Windows Vista you have installed).
HP Recommended
Ron_J,I have a similar notebook - the tx1217cl.  Actually, I thought it was a tx1000 because that is what is imprinted on screen border.  But I have only recently learned to pull the actual model number from beneath the barcodes on the HP label on the back/bottom.  🙂  Anyways, it came with 2GB (2x1GB) and I changed that out to 4GB(2x2GB) shortly after I got the machine a little over a year ago.  And everything is great!  The system recognizes it and it did boost performance (running Vista 32-bit).  Thing is, I only just now noticed the product spec sheet for this model on the hp site that specifically notes a max memory of 2GB.  Ooops?  It never even occured to me that there would be a hardware limitation as referenced above!  Dumb luck, I guess.  🙂
HP Recommended
Kalt, thanks for the input.  Would my machine be limited to by the hardware or would there be a way to easily modifiy the bios or anything to accept 4GB of memory?
HP Recommended
Imann, thanks for the help.  I think I may go the route you did.  I just don't want to mess anything up.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I purchased a tx1000 actually tx1208ca, so many variations to this product line and have been asking about the maximum memory allowable. The documentation is confusing to say the least and HP tech support can only say 2 gig maximum as per product on line specifications.

I am running Vista Home premium 32 bit OS. Wondered if anyone had an update after trials regarding success or failure of going to the maximum specified for tx1000 in on board resident manual specifications.

Any update will be appreciated.

regards to all for the posts,

pupellar@rogers.com

HP Recommended

That is a good question, FIX!

I use the Kingston memory finder all of the time, and according to it, your machine's maximum is 4GB of ram.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=39591&mfr=HP%2FCompaq&model=Pa...

But according to the Crucial memory finder that Kalt mentioned above, your machine's maximum is 2GB.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion%20tx1208ca

I wonder where these memory manufacturer's get their info?

HP Recommended

Thanks Imann,

I'll assume your machine is still working fine. I decided in the short term to go the safe route (2gb) since I will be traveling overseas for an extended stay and do not want to take any chances with my vertual office so soon before I go. I will try the 4gb option when  I get back however since you seem to have had good fortune with your installation.

Curiosity question though! What does your computer actual show for memory after the install. Please find link bellow for an interesting but inconclusive  blog debate supplied to me by the folks at www.oempcworld.com where I am buying the 2gs of replacement ram.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811

Thanks again for your update.

Regards,

FIX

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.