Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi together,

I'm having a Pavilion dv7, QF272EA#ABD with 8 GB RAM installed. Is it possible to upgrade the RAM to 16 GB - which RAM-Modules do I need then? On the official documents the maximum RAM is 8 GB, but at the time, the documents were made, no 8GB-Modules were available.

Does the BIOS support 8GB Modules? The notebook has two slots, so my hope is, if I replace the built in 2x4GB with 2x8GB, I'll have 16 GB of RAM.

For what I need this? Running different virtual machines at one time for working. 🙂

I'm sorry for my bad english. Thanks for your help!

Thorsten

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Thorsten:

Your English is just fine.

Since your notebook has the Intel processor, you can install 2 x 8 GB of memory.

You need PC3-10600 memory for your notebook. Make sure it is 10600, not 10660, or 10666.

See the service manual at the link below, chapter 1, page 6, for the memory info.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278.pdf

Now, several memory manufacturers have produced 8 GB PC1333 memory modules.

Paul

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi, Thorsten:

Your English is just fine.

Since your notebook has the Intel processor, you can install 2 x 8 GB of memory.

You need PC3-10600 memory for your notebook. Make sure it is 10600, not 10660, or 10666.

See the service manual at the link below, chapter 1, page 6, for the memory info.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278.pdf

Now, several memory manufacturers have produced 8 GB PC1333 memory modules.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply. I've just ordered 2x8GB RAM PC3-10600 SO-DIMM now. Hope it arrives on Tuesday. 🙂

Have a nice day!

Thorsten

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Thorsten.

You have a great day too.

Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

I'm at my mother-in-law who owns a Pavillion DV7 that is extremely slow for its specs (HP Pavillion DV7-1123eo, SN edited by Moderator). System monitor records a lot of hard errors with the RAM. So there appears to be trouble with the memory, and has been for a while. A local shop attempted to "fix" it by removing 2 of the machines 4GB, and got paid for it.

The trouble is, according to CPU Z the memory left in the machine is one element of Samsung PC2-6400 (400MHz running at 333Mhz). That is very different from the PC3-10600 recommended above.

So what exactly am I supposed to buy now? Grately for any help!

HP Recommended

Hi Ungua,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I'm sorry to inform you that your post has needed some editing to remove personal information such as the Serial Number in your Post. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. It's odd this should be the first comment from an HP employee since the site displayed my personal email to everyone per default. That I found annoying.

Any solution to my stated problem above would be greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

Hi:

There are hundreds of dv7 models, and the one I provided the answer for is a much newer model than the dv7-1123eo and accordingly has different architecture.

The dv7-6118eg uses DDR3 memory, and the older dv7-1123eo uses DDR2 memory.

Below is the link to the product specs page for the dv7-1123eo.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01587534

The processor in the dv7-1123eo runs memory in dual channel at a max of 333 MHz per channel (dual channel is 667 MHz).

So what CPUz is reporting is correct.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%20QL-62%20-%20AMQL62DAM22GG.html

George is just doing his job by protecting your privacy. 

The forum rules clearly prohibit the posting of any personal information.

This includes but is not limited to: e-mail addresses, phone numbers, serial numbers of equipment...

Nobody's e-mail addresses are visible to anyone else on the forum.  You can only see your own e-mail address.

Your attention is invited to the forum rules at the link below.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Rules-of-Participation/Rules-of-Participation/m-p/252325#M1

HP Recommended
Thank you for your reply! I am grateful for the advice on the SN, but understood the default privacy preferences differently when I checked them.

I will now go and order DDR2-333 memory, thanks again for the help!
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would order the same PC2-6400 (800/400 MHz) memory the notebook has now.

PC2-5300 is 667/333 Mhz.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.