Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am using HP 1000 Notebook PC. The default ram was 2GB but i added another module of 4GB in it. My laptop works perfectly normal but it gives me blue screen of death while playing a particular game (League of Legends). I have no errors other than that and it works fine. I decided to test my memory from HP support (by pressing F2). I got the test fail error with some product ID.

Then I ran Memtest86, there was no error shown by Memtest86 in 1 pass. So I would like to know that why HP test failed and Memtest86 gave me no error. 

Thanks

Ahmad Mujtaba

Regards
Ahmad Mujtaba
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would say that confirms the RAM module is faulty.  Was this test performed on the 4GB stick alone or was the 2GB stick also installed?  If this was with the 4GB stick alone, then I would say this is more than enough evidence to warrant an exchange at the store.  There isn't much else that I can do from this end with the third party RAM.  You will need to contact the original point of purchase for an exchange and explain the failed memory tests (HP's and Memtest86). 

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I understand that the HP RAM test failed while a single pass of Memtest86 did not.

RAM issues are some of the most difficult issues to troubleshoot.  RAM can fail a test in one pass and in twenty passes the next.  I generally recommend running 8-10 passes when it comes to testing the memory.  

It sounds like the unit has 6GB of RAM.  Have you tried testing with one module in at a time?

Also, are you able to get the failure ID again?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Yes I tried testing with one module at a time. My original 2GB module passes the HP test. While the other 4GB module which I bought from a local vendor failed the test.

This means my new ram (4GB) module is faulty? However I never get the issue on normal usage of the computer. I am only having issues while playing League of Legends.

Moreover please tell me, If my  new memory module is faulty, (which is under warranty) how you recommend should I convince/show the vendor (from whom I bought that) that this ram module is faulty? How should I tell him that I need the replacement?

Thanks

Ahmad Mujtaba

Regards
Ahmad Mujtaba
HP Recommended

RAM is one of the most sensitive components to ESD.  A static shock that we do not feel can damage a stick of RAM.  I'm not saying that is what happened, but I am saying it is a reason that a brand new stick of RAM can be bad.

I know you mentioned one pass of memtest86.  Due to how memtest86 works, I highly recommend at least 8-10 passes.  Memtest86, in my experience, does not test 100% of the RAM.  It randomly tests various member sectors on the RAM module.  A single pass won't test all of it and that is why I recommend several passes of memtest86.  If you can get an error with memtest86, that would provide more support.

You mentioned that you do get a bluescreen error while playing League of Legends.  By chance, could you upload your minidump files?  By default, they are in c:\windows\minidump.  The forums don't allow users to upload files, so I will provide three different ways to share the minidump files.

Skydrive:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2586433#M66234

Google Drive:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2586535/thread-id/66237

Dropbox:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2586611/thread-id/66240

Signature
HP Recommended

Ok I will run the memtest86 again with 8 to 10 passes and will let you know the results.

Here is the dump files. That directory you mentioned contains two files. So I upload them.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2myipC_D7pkUFVSS0ZpNGpLUVE&usp=sharing

More Over, My mozilla crashes sometimes too.

Secondly, League of Legends game crashes too when I play using the 4GB ram module (If there is no blue scree of death then it crashes during every single game I play. Though it happens always for one or two times in a 30 minute long game). But today I removed the 4GB Module and played the game with 2GB original memory. There were no crashes and no errors for the 3 games I played. Then I put back my 4GB ram module and the very first game I played, it crashes again. (I have contacted league of legends support but none of their solution is working for me.)

Hope those dump files would help you in finding any problem.

Thanks

Ahmad Mujtaba

Regards
Ahmad Mujtaba
HP Recommended

Looking at both of the minidumps, this does indicate it is a RAM issue.  If Memtest86 is taking too long or if you prefer to use something different for a third party confirmation, you can try the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

The 0x1A error indicates it could be a page fault.  Paging is when part of the HDD is used as RAM (most common when there isn't enough physical RAM for the tasks running).  A user in this thread was successful by setting the page memory setting to system managed.  However, I doubt that is the case here since a page issue should be present with both sticks of RAM but it is only present with the 4 GB stick of RAM.  This still points to the RAM.  You may want to review this site as they do have some useful tips.  One in particular is to ensure that both sticks of RAM are of the same type and timings.  The timings are usually on a sticker on the RAM module in the format of 12-12-12-15.  If the timings are different, then this could be a potential cause.  If it is a timing issue, the problem shouldn't persist with just the 4 GB stick in the system.  

The second minidump, 0x00000050 (page_fualt_in_nonpaged_area), indicates it is in relation to bad hardware which is most commonly the RAM according to this Microsoft Article.  HOwever, this type of error can be the fault of antivirus being over protective of how memory is handled.  You might try with antivirus disabled or even in a clean boot state to rule out third party programs.

Given that both mindumps indicate bad RAM and that it only happens with the new 4GB stick of RAM, this does look like a case of a bad stick of RAM.

It may be a good idea to post in this thread if you have not already done so.  Now that the minidumps are available, this thread may be beneficial.  

Let me know what happens.  I know the extra memtest passes will take some time to finish.  

Signature
HP Recommended

Hi,

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool does not show any error. Then today I ran Memtest86 and left it running. After 3 hours when I came back it was on 3rd pass. And there were errors displayed. I take a snap of the screen. Please look on the link mentioned below.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2myipC_D7pkcE9aTE5FM3g1ZHc/edit?usp=sharing

It clearly shows that there are so many errors.

In Memtest86 options there was an option of "DMI Memory Device Info". In that option it was written

Bottom Slot 1(top)0 1333

Bottom Slot 2(unde)2048 1333

(I think it shows both are of same bus speed which is 1333).

So now tell me what you suggest me to do?

How to convince the vendoe of faulty ram module or something else you want me to do or tell?

Thanks

Ahmad Mujtaba

Regards
Ahmad Mujtaba
HP Recommended

I would say that confirms the RAM module is faulty.  Was this test performed on the 4GB stick alone or was the 2GB stick also installed?  If this was with the 4GB stick alone, then I would say this is more than enough evidence to warrant an exchange at the store.  There isn't much else that I can do from this end with the third party RAM.  You will need to contact the original point of purchase for an exchange and explain the failed memory tests (HP's and Memtest86). 

Let me know what happens.

Signature
HP Recommended

Well the test was done with both the modules installed. Anyways I will run the test only on 4GB module (I am sure now that only 4GB module is faulty). I will go to vendor on weekend and will let you know what will happen. Hope I got it replaced with the new and the correct one this time. 🙂

Thanks for all the help. Really appreciated!

Regards
Ahmad Mujtaba
HP Recommended

You are most welcome.

This is just a recommendation as I don't know what precautions you take when working with PC components. I'm not saying this is what happened here as this is difficult to prove one way or the other due to the nature of it.  This is just more of a best practice.  I highly recommend at the very least an ESD wrist strap such as this one when handling PC components.  This particular style is a basic one and it works by connecting the clip to the inside of the PC case and ensuring that the strap is snug on your wrist where the metal plate makes contact.  What this does is keeps your body and the PC case roughly the same polarity to minimize the chances of an electrostatic discharge.  There are models that take this a step further use an ESD mat.  Some models also include a ground plug to use in the grounding outlet on an electrical outlet, but these typically cost a lot more.  I use an ESD wrist strap which, when used properly, should serve the purpose.  

I will keep an eye out for your reply.  🙂

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.