Question

Top Student
russep
Message 1 of 25 (16,368 Views)

Mute button Light

Recently got a HP Pavilion dv4-1155se laptop the mute button light located above the keyboard is always stuck in the off position (red in color), when I push it it doesn't chane color. When the laptop is on and I push it the little speaker looking thing in the bottom right had corner changes from on to mute and back again but the light of the mute button above the keyboard never changes to white. I am unable to get sound coming from th laptop speakers. If I plug in headphones I can hear the sound. How do I get the sound to come through the laptop's speakers and not throught the headphone jack?
Grad Student
nazcar4u
Message 2 of 25 (16,329 Views)

Re: Mute button Light

russep,

try clicking on the little speaker thingy icon first.  see if you can mute/unmute with that button. see if you can adjust your volume there

also, if you right click on the speaker icon, then click playback devices. make sure your speakers are selected. if not you need to enable them.

tell me what happens

All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Top Student
russep
Message 3 of 25 (16,333 Views)

Yes I tried both of those and they don't work. I have the speakers and dual headphones selected and all the volume contuoles are on nothing is on mute. The mute button above the keyboard is the only thing I can't seem to get to turn on.
Honor Student
Niala
Message 4 of 25 (16,285 Views)

Hi there. I have a DV4-1167TX and every now and then when I start up, I get the same problem you have. I have not checked if I am getting sound from the headphone jacks though. I then need to restart the laptop and it seems to always correct itself so far. It is really irritating especially with the extra super slow boot-up time of Vista. Any ideas from anyone? I have checked all sound functions as recommended so far.
Teacher
Message 5 of 25 (16,320 Views)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-62285-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Download and install this update for your Quick Launch!

Specializing in Microsoft Windows.....Supporting all major OEMs including HP
Tutor
FirstLappy666
Message 6 of 25 (16,094 Views)

LoL it looks like your not the only one .. i have the same problem like you .. the dumb button on the

launch button pad thing seems to like been red ,, i reinstalled the driver for the quick launch buttons (just as gdirty said ) and it seem to fix the problem ..

that was untill it got worse and then back to normal. When i would check the playback devices (right click the volume key in the taskbar ) i wouldn't be able

to see the build-in speakers anymore. I would just see the headphone jack and the HDMI, which it was were the sound was coming out of, according to the

playback devices, but since i didn't have it connected to an actual HDMI speakers wasn't able to hearing anything. Hopefully it was a helpfull advice, and get

ready for some more worse and not so worse issues with the sound. Hopefully HP can fix this ongoing problem.

Tutor
FirstLappy666
Message 7 of 25 (16,093 Views)

oh and many of the sound issues seem to revolved around the

HP Quick Launch Buttons

IDT Audion Control Panel,

IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC Driver, and

High-Definition Audio (HDA) Modem Installer and Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista,

which i always seem to reinstall to fix the issues with this everlasting issue. But the two that i seem to reinstall the mosts is the IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC Driver and the HP Quick Laucn Buttons.

Hopefully any of this helps you with your sound problem

Teacher
Tartersmell
Message 8 of 25 (16,081 Views)

I had a note that had a sticky headphone jack, and it would always kill the speakers thinkin the headphone jack was connected.  A few inserts of the headphones fixed it. 

Might be worth a try tho, it sounds like driver problems.  Search your Event Viewer and see if you have any errors going on.

App and System

HP MINI1000 16GBSSD,ASUS EEEPC 701 4GBSSD, DELL1501-DELL1520-DELLB1300-DELL3800 CERTS A+ NET+ OS- 3.1-98, 2000, 2000AS, XP, XPAS, XP64, VISTA H,P,U,B VISTA 64BIT WIN7BETA NT4 MSCE
Student
missluckylady2u
Message 9 of 25 (15,624 Views)

OMGOSH!!!  My brand new right out of the box laptop is doing the exact same thing.

It is so flipping annoying.  I have no sound out of my speakers at all.

I am tempted to take it back!   I will try loading the drivers as others have mentioned in this post.  But I don't know anything about drivers and hardware and all that stuff.   I bought a new computer because I don't know how to work on them and wanted something dependable.

Day one and things already aren't working.  Maybe I should have listened to my IT friend who told me to avoid HP like the plague!

Tutor
FirstLappy666
Message 10 of 25 (15,481 Views)

Well you can download of the drivers from the following page

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3795310

About avoiding HP's as the plague, well there aren't as bas as they say the are.

No laptop is perfect.

It's just that since HPs are priced low, there are more people that speak about them compared to the high-end laptops that only a few have so you dont hear as many bad things as the low priced ones.

And besides the sound problem and the really loud fan, this hp simce to meet my expectation. Although i also was ify  about buying this HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation