Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I got my PC in 2010, it was working fine until tonight when i turned it on it said boot device not found and to please install an operating system on my hard disk- (3F0) I used it this morning before I went to work and it seemed fine.

I don't have an operating system disk for my hard drive. What can I do?

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

As per 3F0 error code,I suspect your hard drive might be causing this problem on the notebook.Kindly check the instructions over here in order to run the test for your hard drive Run HP Diagnostics for HDD and see what the results say

HDD Diagnostics.jpg

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

When I tried to test hard disk it says Hard Disk not exist

HP Recommended

This just happened to my laptop as well.  HELP!!  If I run the recovery disks, will I lose all my data?

HP Recommended

Hi.  My computer is showing .  Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk (3F0) F2

For more infornation, please visit: www.hp.com\go\\techcenter\startup

HP Recommended

I'm pretty much convinced that my laptop is broken forever. Going to see if I can get the data off the hard drive, throw the laptop into the trash and go to the Apple store. No more HP for me. 

HP Recommended

You are also getting the "Hard Disk (3FO)" error during boot vegaloader?

This likely means that your hard drive is failing or has failed.  Kamat_HP posted a great graphic showing the different error states that can appear.  Your (3F0) refers to the hard drive.  It is possible that it has been corrupted, is failing, or has failed.  To determine this we will need to run a hard disk check.  Follow these steps and post the result.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I ran a hard disk check, and it has indeed failed.  The hard disk is kaput.  Gone.   I am in the process now of attempting to wrestle my data off of it, trying to get it out of the clutches of Windows 7.  Not having much luck.

HP Recommended

To answer your earlier question about recovery, you WILL lose your data through this process.  I suggest you try to use the HP Recovery tool to backup your data.  You should be able to do this if the hard drive is still allowing you to get into Windows 7.  Here is a link to instructions on how to run the HP Recovery through the operating system as well as through the BIOS.  You will be prompted during this to back up your files, make sure to select that or you will lose your files!

If you are able to get into Windows 7 and do not have a large amount of files that need to be backed up I would suggest putting them onto a thumb drive or external hard drive as soon as possible and replacing the hard drive.  If you will post the model number for your notebook I will find instructions for you on replacing the hard drive yourself. 

Let me know if I can assist you further!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I cannot get into Windows 7 at all.  I lost my recovery disks when I moved to a different state.  I am attempting to get the files directly off the hard drive with an adapter cable attached to an external (USB) hard drive.  I decided against recovering the hard disk at all, since its demise may be related to a failure of the chipset.  If it is because of that, I'll need a whole new motherboard, and I am not interested in going to that expense for a three year old laptop.  Perhaps I'll play around with recovering from the BIOS after when (and if) I can get my data copied over to another machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.