Question

Student
computornoob
Message 1 of 2 (1,745 Views)

My computer keeps freezing!?

[ Edited ]

Recently, my computer keeps freezing. When I'm playing games, or searching the web, or just listening to music, the screen freezes, my computer becomes unresponsive and my hard drive light stops blinking (I assume it turned off or stopped). I would have to pull the plug on my computer. I once turned it on and it gave me this long and loud continuous beep until I shut it off.

I still can't determine what the problem is. Here is are possible problems:

---I installed a nvidia 8800gs video card (which requires 400w power supply, but my computer only has 300w). It has worked for a year, I was even able to overclock it without any glitches. I then removed it and used the onboard video card. I noticed the freezing has stopped for a day. I then reinstalled vista on it and 12 hours later, here I am with a constantly crashing computer.

---The other possible problem is I've been using my hard drive a LOT. Partitioning and unpartitioning, puting data and removing it. I don't know if thats causing it to fail but when I tried to reformat with my hp recovery discs, it froze about 1/4 of the way with this error code: 0x4001001300001002. I tried the reformat again, and it worked half way, until the 2nd disc, I tried 3 times, and it gave me this error code: 0x4001100200001005.

I know it can't be a vista problem because this problem occured both when using Windows 7 or Vista

So is my hard drive failing? Or is it my underpowered computer? I really want to try fixing it myself before I have to let an expert fix it (to save money). Please help. Thank you.

Message Edited by computornoob on 07-04-2009 10:51 AM
Message Edited by computornoob on 07-04-2009 10:55 AM
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 2 of 2 (1,730 Views)

Re: My computer keeps freezing!?

Noobs should refrain from partitioning the drive.  Best strategy is to make the recovery CDs.  Zero fill the hard drive.  Install windows.  Now check for problem.

You can set up a dual boot.  Best strategy is to set up two primary partitions at the beginning of the drive.  Use a boot loader to set one partition ACTIVE so that you can boot to that partition.  The other partition will be hidden from view.  Each OS will show up as the C primary partition. 

Once you've loaded windows into one of the primary partition, use the boot loader to set the other primary partition active.  Boot to that partition and install windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation