Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15-r132wm
Linux

What I've done so far,

1)  Inserted the USB flash drive into a USB port and turned on the computer.

2)  Pressed F9 immediately to open the Boot Device Options menu.

When that didn't work I disabled Secure Boot and enabled Legacy Support in the bios and also switched "USB3.0 Config in Pre-Boot"  to "Auto" in the BIOS

When even all that didn't work I tested the bootable USB thumb drive in two other machines and it worked on those.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@omgitsMATT wrote:

No, I was not aware that it needed to be made bootable and assumed it'd work like past HP notebooks of mine.

It came with Windows 8.1 so it's GPT.

Thank you for the links, I'll be back once I make the thumb drive bootable with your links and let you know how that went.

It should work out just fine. Follow the tutorial of your choice. Tutorials for making bootable USB flashdrives are also on YouTube for those who prefer a visual learning style.

I have been using various utilities to make bootable usb flashdrives for years. Anyone who has been using PenTest distros of Linux, such as BackTrack or Kali Linux, or utility belt flashdrives has been aware of this.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Has the USB flashdrive been made bootable?

That is something that many find difficult to do. You should leave secure boot to enabled.  You can create a bootable USB flashdrive that is recognized in a GPT or MBR formatted PC. Your notebook is, by default, unless delivered with FreeDos or Linux, in GPT format, not MBR.

The following URL goes to an open source bootable USB creation utility that will help you to create bootable usb flashdrives fopr either format.

http://www.rmprepusb.com/

The difference between GPT and MBR format 

http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

No, I was not aware that it needed to be made bootable and assumed it'd work like past HP notebooks of mine.

Thank you for the links, I'll be back once I make the thumb drive bootable with your links and let you know how that went.

HP Recommended

@omgitsMATT wrote:

It should work out just fine. Follow the tutorial of your choice. Tutorials for making bootable USB flashdrives are also on YouTube for those who prefer a visual learning style.

I have been using various utilities to make bootable usb flashdrives for years. Anyone who has been using PenTest distros of Linux, such as BackTrack or Kali Linux, or utility belt flashdrives has been aware of this.

HP Recommended
With you pointing me to the doors to open it all looks very doable. Thanks for your time and help
HP Recommended

It was a pleasure to help you.

🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.