Question

Honor Student
tupshall
Message 1 of 6 (6,688 Views)

NEW 3 week old HP Pavilion dv6, cooling fan always running

Hi the cooling fan in this laptop always seems to be running fast enough to be irritating, it was like this out of the box, other laptops I have had usually only run the fan during periods of heavy CPU usage but this one is running fast all the time. Any ideas, and dust in the vents is not the problem, BIOS ?

Intern
vdl68
Message 2 of 6 (6,675 Views)

Re: NEW 3 week old HP Pavilion dv6, cooling fan always running

Have you try updating your bios?
Honor Student
tupshall
Message 3 of 6 (6,627 Views)

The BIOS version on my Laptop is F.08 and I believe the one on HP's site is F.06, I am guessing mine is the newer one?

Student
hecto1one
Message 4 of 6 (6,233 Views)

I have exactly the same problem, have you had some feedback from hp or someone else. This fan working without stopping, it's bottering me, but the worse is that if it continues like this I am afraid my lap could reduce its life. HP plase help

Student
osemaj
Message 5 of 6 (5,908 Views)

OK, when you say the fan normally runs when there's a heavy CPU load, have you checked the temperature of the laptop? DV6's are known to get very hot.
also, the vents on the bottom of the laptop; to they intake air or blow it out?
the above question is a very important one for reasons i'll explain when you've answered it.

Top Student
Andrew0709
Message 6 of 6 (5,266 Views)

I also have the same problem. 8 month old HP Pavillion DV6. Bios updated and air vents cleaned. Fan runs constantly even without any load on pc'n.

Installed programme Core Temp to see temperatures and fan runs even at a temp. of 41C. Bios has a function to disable fan from running all the time, but even then, the fan seems to run almost constantly, plus the standard setting for Bios is to have fan runing constantly enabled. Would be greatful for any help/suggestions. This seems to be a problem for this pc when searcing for solutions on the Web.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation